Connect with us


Maina to trial judge: I’m in danger of losing my leg



Abdulrasheed Maina, former Chairman of the defunct Pension Reform Task Team (PRTT), on Friday, told the Federal High Court, Abuja, that his leg might be amputated if not granted bail to access adequate medicare.

Maina made the plea to Justice Okon Abang through his counsel, Sani Katu, SAN, at the resumed trial.

Katu said his client was taken to University of Abuja Teaching Hospital, Gwagwalada, because of his worsening health condition; adding that the medical report was exhibited in the bail application. The lawyer stated that Kuje Correctional Centre where Maina was kept did not have facility to attend to his state of health. Further, he submitted that if not granted bail, his kneel might be amputated.

Maina had, on January 20, approached Justice Abang for another bail after his arrest for jumping the first bail. In a motion on notice dated and filed on December 24, 2020 brought by one of his lawyer, Anayo Adibe; Maina said the application became necessary over his worsening health condition.


In the motion, the ex-pension boss told the court that he had reasonable and responsible sureties; who were willing to act as sureties if granted bail.

Meanwhile, an Ikeja Sexual Offences and Domestic Violence Court on Friday remanded a 26-year-old man; Goodluck Kennedy, for allegedly abducting a 14-year-old girl (name withheld) for five days and defiling her.

Justice Abiola Soladoye ordered that Kennedy be remanded at the Kirikiri Correctional Centre; following his not guilty plea to a two-count charge of abduction and defilement. State prosecutor, Mr Peter Owolabani disclosed that the defendant committed the offences from November 8 to 15 2019 at the Gangari area of Ijora, Lagos.

Owolabani said Kennedy kidnapped the teenager while she was walking home.

“He took her to a premises in the Ijora area of Lagos; where he held her against her will for five days. During that period he had unlawful sexual intercourse with the minor. She escaped on the fifth day of her ordeal, reported the crime to her mother and the authorities were alerted.”

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *