Connect with us

Nation

Bandits release 53 passengers abducted in Niger

Published

on

Bandits operating in Niger State have released 53 passengers abducted last week.

The passengers travelling on the state-owned Niger State Transport Authority (NSTA) bus met with Gov. Abubakar Sani-Bello on Sunday.

The governor received the abducted passengers at the Government House, Minna, on Sunday at about 11:35 p.m. The NSTA passengers were seized by armed bandits in Rijau on Sunday, February 14.

Equally important, the passengers were on their way to Minna. But they were intercepted at Kundu Village on Minna-Tegina Road in the Rafi Local Government Area.

The governor said that the victims were released by their abductors after thorough negotiations and consultations between the government and the suspected bandits.

ALSO READ: Sheikh Gumi meets abductors of Kagara students, requests blanket amnesty for bandits

Bandits

“We thank God for helping us to secure their release. We went through one week of consultations and sleepless nights to secure their release,” he said.

He said that before they would rejoin their various families; the state government must ensure that they undergo a thorough medical checkup.

The released passengers were 20 women, nine children and 24 men. The victims were all looking tired and hungry, as some of them could barely walk.

However, the governor said that the abducted 27 students of Government Science College, Kagara; were still in the hands of their captors, adding that effort was being intensified for their safe return.

He assured the residents of the state that very soon the government would secure their release.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending