Connect with us

Latest Update

American hacker mercenaries face U.S. charges for work in UAE

Published

on

American hacker

Three former U.S. intelligence operatives, who went to work as mercenary hackers for the United Arab Emirates, face federal charges of conspiring to violate hacking laws, according to Justice Department court documents filed on Tuesday.

The three men, Marc Baier, Ryan Adams, and Daniel Gericke, were part of a clandestine unit named Project Raven, first reported by Reuters, that helped the United Arab Emirates spy on its enemies.

The defendants are being charged also with military export restriction violations.

“Defendants used illicit, fraudulent, and criminal means, including the use of advanced covert hacking systems that utilized computer exploits obtained from the United States and elsewhere, to gain unauthorized access to protected computers in the United States and elsewhere and to illicitly obtain information,” the court document states.

Reuters previously reported that Baier was a program manager for Project Raven. Adams and Gericke were operators within the effort, helping the UAE hack its targets.

Prosecutors wrote in a separate filing that they have promised to drop the charges if the three men cooperate with U.S. authorities, pay a financial penalty, agree to unspecified employment restrictions and acknowledge responsibility for their actions.

Text messages sent to Baier and Adams requesting comment went unanswered. A social media message to Gericke also did not receive an immediate response.

“The Bureau’s dedication to justice is commendable, and I have the utmost respect for the agents assigned to this case,” said Lori Stroud, a former NSA analyst who worked on Project Raven and then acted as a whistleblower.

“However, the most significant catalyst to bringing this issue to light was investigative journalism – the timely, technical information reported created the awareness and momentum to ensure justice.”

The court documents describe how the three helped the UAE design, procure and deploy hacking capabilities over multiple years. Their victims allegedly included U.S. citizens, which Reuters previously reported based on information provided by Stroud.

Former program operatives previously told Reuters they believed they were following the law because superiors promised them the U.S. government had approved the work.

(Visited 10 times, 10 visits today)

Subscribe to our Youtube Channel :

Follow Us on Instagram

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest Update

Insecurity: Anglican Bishop identifies major cause of kidnapping, banditry

Published

on

AGLICAN BISHOP

Rt. Rev. Christian Onyia, Bishop of Anglican Diocese of Nike in Enugu State has proffered major solutions to kidnapping and banditry in Nigeria.

Onyia said Nigeria had witnessed an increase in kidnapping and banditry due to inequity, injustice, poverty, lack of education and lack of employment opportunities.

He said the issues of kidnapping and banditry would be a thing of the past if the issues identified were dealt with.

The cleric spoke on Saturday while reading his Bishop Charge at the Third Session of the Fifth Synod of the Diocese held at St. Peters Anglican Church, Thinkers Corner, Enugu.

According to Onyia: “Inequity, injustice, poverty, lack of education and lack of opportunities for employment are major drivers of insecurity in the country.

“If these problems are addressed, the recruitment of young people by groups of bandits will be limited.”

Onyia said the continuous activities of kidnappers and bandits were portraying Nigeria as unsafe.

He stressed that the with the current level of kidnapping and banditry, it “seems the Federal and state governments are not doing enough to tackle them”.

Continue Reading

Latest Update

Austin Agada emerges APC chairman in Benue

Published

on

APC

Austin Agada has emerged chairman of the All Progressives Congress, APC, in Benue State.

He emerged winner on Saturday during the elective congress of the party held in Makurdi, the Benue State capital.

Agada, a native of Owukpa, in Ogbadibo LGA, polled 1,000 votes to clinch the position ahead of his rival, Barr. Omale Omale, from Apa, who garnered 27 votes.
There were five invalid votes.

Reacting to his victory, Agada urged those who contested for the seat to join hands with him to move the party forward.

He thanked the leadership of the party for the trust and confidence reposed in him.

He declared that “it is time to work.”

His words, “This is indeed a victory for all. Elections are over and it is time to work.

“I enjoin those who contested and lost to join hands with me so we can build a formidable party ahead of 2023 elections.

“I thank the leadership of our great party across the 23 LGAs for the massive support. I won’t let them down.”

Continue Reading

Latest Update

Medical trip: What my Aso Rock sources told me about Buhari – Reno Omokri

Published

on

Reno Omokri e1558293163302

Former presidential aide, Reno Omokri has claimed that some sources within Aso Rock revealed to him that President Muhammadu Buhari is set to embark on another medical trip to London, United Kingdom.

The socio-political activist who made the claim via a post on his verified Facebook page on Saturday night, warned the President to shelve the plan, stressing that he (Buhari) will be harassed as usual.

DAILY POST recalls that the former media aide to Nigerian ex-president, Goodluck Jonathan had during Buhari’s recent medical trip to London, stormed the Abuja House with other activists to harass the President back to Nigeria.

Omokri had constantly argued that President Buhari’s inability to fix public health facilities was responsible for his incessant trip to London for medical attention.

In the Facebook post, Omokri vowed that if the President peradventure fails to heed to his warning, there would be mega protest in London.

… reads, “I understand from my sources within Aso Rock that General Buhari is planning another London health vacation.

“My counsel to him is that he should perish the thought.

“The last time he tried it, we surrounded his premises during Harass Buhari Out of London. I only made a judgment call to temporarily suspend the action because of Ramadan and my respect for the Muslim Ummah.

“However, if he tries it this time around, we will give him the mother of all Harass Buhari out of London rally. If you want healthcare, build hospitals for yourself and Nigerians.

“No Faniwater old, decrepit, overused Nokia 3310 that anybody with small change can insert his SIM card in can distract me”.

Continue Reading

Trending