Connect with us

Latest Update

Guinea junta hosts talks on post-coup transition

Published

on

coup 1

Leaders of political parties in Guinea met on Tuesday with members of the junta that removed President Alpha Conde from power a week ago.

The meeting was the first of several that the National Committee for Rally and Development (CNRD), led by Colonel Mamady Doumbouya, is expected to have with political activists, civil society and international representatives.

The military was expected to face more pressure to set a timeframe for new elections after they opened the four-day series of meetings about the West African nation’s future following the coup on September 5.

“It is about the possibility to have a discussion amongst all the civil society, the Guinean civil society and political parties,” said Sidya Toure, head of the Union of Republican Forces party who returned to the country last weekend after spending ten months in exile in Paris, following threats allegedly made by Conde.

Toure said the meetings would help “to go forward and handle the transition so we can have a real government, you know, and real elections” that can be accepted by Guineans.

Another head of the opposition and former minister of Alpha Conde’s administration, Ousmane Kaba, from the Party of Democrats for Hope said that the military coup was “to stop the institutional constitutional coup” made by Conde, who had changed the constitution to run for a third term.

Kaba, as others, called the international community to help the country during this period.

“I think the international community should help us, should help Guinea to have a good transition,” he told journalists after the meeting.

Concerns are growing about how quickly the junta led by Doumbouya will give up power to a civilian-led transitional government as called for by regional mediators and the international community.

The coup has been cautiously welcomed by other long-time opponents of Conde including Guinea’s most prominent opposition figure, Cellou Dalein Diallo, who had lost to the ousted leader in the last three presidential elections.

Diallo was among the opposition leaders meeting with the junta Tuesday at the People’s Palace, which was heavily guarded by armed soldiers.

The military rulers also were meeting with religious leaders.

Later in the week, the junta plans to host leaders from Guinea’s mining industry, in a bid to reassure foreign companies working in the most vital sector of the country’s economy.

Anger over Conde’s quest for a third term last year led to violent street demonstrations, and many in the capital, Conakry, have shown support for the military takeover.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest Update

Insecurity: Anglican Bishop identifies major cause of kidnapping, banditry

Published

on

AGLICAN BISHOP

Rt. Rev. Christian Onyia, Bishop of Anglican Diocese of Nike in Enugu State has proffered major solutions to kidnapping and banditry in Nigeria.

Onyia said Nigeria had witnessed an increase in kidnapping and banditry due to inequity, injustice, poverty, lack of education and lack of employment opportunities.

He said the issues of kidnapping and banditry would be a thing of the past if the issues identified were dealt with.

The cleric spoke on Saturday while reading his Bishop Charge at the Third Session of the Fifth Synod of the Diocese held at St. Peters Anglican Church, Thinkers Corner, Enugu.

According to Onyia: “Inequity, injustice, poverty, lack of education and lack of opportunities for employment are major drivers of insecurity in the country.

“If these problems are addressed, the recruitment of young people by groups of bandits will be limited.”

Onyia said the continuous activities of kidnappers and bandits were portraying Nigeria as unsafe.

He stressed that the with the current level of kidnapping and banditry, it “seems the Federal and state governments are not doing enough to tackle them”.

Continue Reading

Latest Update

Austin Agada emerges APC chairman in Benue

Published

on

APC

Austin Agada has emerged chairman of the All Progressives Congress, APC, in Benue State.

He emerged winner on Saturday during the elective congress of the party held in Makurdi, the Benue State capital.

Agada, a native of Owukpa, in Ogbadibo LGA, polled 1,000 votes to clinch the position ahead of his rival, Barr. Omale Omale, from Apa, who garnered 27 votes.
There were five invalid votes.

Reacting to his victory, Agada urged those who contested for the seat to join hands with him to move the party forward.

He thanked the leadership of the party for the trust and confidence reposed in him.

He declared that “it is time to work.”

His words, “This is indeed a victory for all. Elections are over and it is time to work.

“I enjoin those who contested and lost to join hands with me so we can build a formidable party ahead of 2023 elections.

“I thank the leadership of our great party across the 23 LGAs for the massive support. I won’t let them down.”

Continue Reading

Latest Update

Medical trip: What my Aso Rock sources told me about Buhari – Reno Omokri

Published

on

Reno Omokri e1558293163302

Former presidential aide, Reno Omokri has claimed that some sources within Aso Rock revealed to him that President Muhammadu Buhari is set to embark on another medical trip to London, United Kingdom.

The socio-political activist who made the claim via a post on his verified Facebook page on Saturday night, warned the President to shelve the plan, stressing that he (Buhari) will be harassed as usual.

DAILY POST recalls that the former media aide to Nigerian ex-president, Goodluck Jonathan had during Buhari’s recent medical trip to London, stormed the Abuja House with other activists to harass the President back to Nigeria.

Omokri had constantly argued that President Buhari’s inability to fix public health facilities was responsible for his incessant trip to London for medical attention.

In the Facebook post, Omokri vowed that if the President peradventure fails to heed to his warning, there would be mega protest in London.

… reads, “I understand from my sources within Aso Rock that General Buhari is planning another London health vacation.

“My counsel to him is that he should perish the thought.

“The last time he tried it, we surrounded his premises during Harass Buhari Out of London. I only made a judgment call to temporarily suspend the action because of Ramadan and my respect for the Muslim Ummah.

“However, if he tries it this time around, we will give him the mother of all Harass Buhari out of London rally. If you want healthcare, build hospitals for yourself and Nigerians.

“No Faniwater old, decrepit, overused Nokia 3310 that anybody with small change can insert his SIM card in can distract me”.

Continue Reading

Trending