Connect with us

Sports

Akpeyi’s Chiefs and Chippa aim to break shackles in DStv Premiership

Published

on

Daniel Akpeyi’s Kaizer Chiefs will be desperate to break their winless run in the 2021/22 DStv Premiership when they host Chippa United at FNB Stadium today.

Kick-off is at 5:30pm CAT (SA, GMT+2).

Chiefs have gone four league matches without claiming a victory, and they very nearly suffered a third defeat in the sequence in their most recent outing, with only a last-gasp penalty from Keagan Dolly salvaging a 1-1- draw at AmaZulu on 2 October.

The Amakhosi have claimed three points from two home matches this season, with their last result as hosts a 4-1 loss at the hands of Royal AM in September.

“We are back from the international break and have shifted our focus to the league and we know that the game on the weekend against Chippa is not going to be easy,” said Chiefs winger Khama Billiat in the build-up to this weekend’s match.

“It is going to be a big fight, we are just going to make sure that we stick and believe in our game plan. I feel good and I think it is time to start getting the little things right that make the difference, like scoring more goals, defending and going forward as a team and just being on top of our game.”

The match will be the first between Chiefs and Chippa since former Amakhosi boss, Gavin Hunt, took over the reins in Gqeberha.

“It is not going to be easy, especially playing against coach Gavin who used to be with us here, because he knows individual players and he is an experienced coach,” Billiat added.

“Having said that, it’s a great opportunity for us to put ourselves in a better situation and start collecting maximum points.”

Chippa, meanwhile, have gone five league matches without a win. Their last outing was a goalless stalemate at home to SuperSport United on 2 October which at least ended a run of three straight defeats.

The Chilli Boys have claimed three points from as many away matches this season, with their last result on the road a 2-1 loss at Stellenbosch FC in September.

“Pressure on my side? No, no. When you’ve been involved in as many games that I have been involved in then you don’t see it like that,” said Hunt ahead of this weekend’s tussle.

“With Chippa now we are trying to do the best we can and trying to get ourselves up the league a little bit more. We’ve let ourselves down the last couple of games, but we will have another go on Saturday.

“We haven’t taken our opportunities that we have had, and we have given the other teams too many opportunities. But the PSL is like that, you must take your chances and defend better,” he added.

In head-to-head stats, Chippa and Chiefs have met in 16 league matches since the 2012/13 season. The Amakhosi have claimed eight wins compared to six for the Chilli Boys, while two matches have been drawn.

The Soweto side has won four of their eight home league matches in the rivalry, suffering three defeats in the process.

The teams’ two league meetings last season both produced away wins: Chiefs were 1-0 victors at the Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium in October thanks to an own goal from Gregory Damons, but Chippa were 1-0 victors at FNB Stadium in April 2021 thanks to a late strike from Bienvenu Eva Nga.

PLAYERS TO WATCH – Kaizer Chiefs

Khama Billiat: The Zimbabwean has played every minute of league football for Chiefs this season and will be eager, as he stated in the week, to appear more regularly on the score-sheet. Billiat found the back of the net in Chiefs’ most recent win back in August. Since then, the Amakhosi have only scored twice in four matches.

Daniel Akpeyi: The Nigerian shot-stopper has started Chiefs’ last two matches, having either been on the bench or excluded from the matchday squad in the first four league games of the campaign. He’s only conceded one goal and will be eager to keep a second clean sheet of the season this weekend.

Billiat ready for Chippa fight | SuperSport – Africa's source of sports  video, fixtures, results and news

Read Also: PHOTOS: Chukwueze back in Villarreal training after injury layoff

PLAYERS TO WATCH – Chippa United

Bienvenu Eva Nga: The burly forward hasn’t been prolific in his time in South Africa thus far but has scored two goals in four matches against Chiefs. He scored a late winner for the now defunct Bidvest Wits at FNB Stadium last year and also netted the decisive goal for Chippa in this fixture last season. He will be eager to build on his scoring streak at the Soweto venue.

Rashid Watenga:The shot-stopper has been really consistent for Chippa and looks to have a really promising future ahead of him. He has kept three clean sheets in six matches for the Chilli Boys this season and will be eager to keep a struggling Chiefs at bay this Saturday.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Gifted Cole boxing talent hunt attracts 500 Boxers

Published

on

Gifted Cole

 

Over 500 boxers have indicated interest in the third edition of Gifted Cole boxing talent hunt slated to hold on Saturday in Lekki, Lagos.

Speaking on the event, undefeated boxing champion, Gifted cole, said: “I am eager to see Nigerians dominate boxing and after what we saw during the 4th edition where a dumb and deaf boxer Segun thrilled fans.

READ ALSO Boxing: Joshua Angry, Wants “War” With Usyk  In Rematch

“We have decided to continue to engage grassroots boxers and the third edition promises to be greater than the previous editions.”

Gifted Cole
Gifted Cole boxing talent hunt for Saturday

Gifted cole boxing academy has also promised a brand new car for the best boxer of the day and the sum of One million naira, while the second placed and the third placed boxers would smile home with the sum of N500,000 and N300,000 respectively.

function appendFbScript() { var js, id = 'facebook-jssdk', fjs = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0];

if (document.getElementById(id)) return; js = document.createElement('script'); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&appId=474481306711139&version=v2.0"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);

window.fbAsyncInit = function () { FB.init({ appId: '474481306711139', xfbml: true, version: 'v2.0' }); FB.Event.subscribe('comment.create', function (comment_data) { console.log(comment_data); update_comments_count(); }); FB.Event.subscribe('comment.remove', function (comment_data) { update_comments_count(); });

function update_comments_count(comment_data, comment_action) { jQuery.ajax({ type: 'GET', dataType: 'json', url: 'https://sportinglife.ng/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php', data: { action: 'clear_better_facebook_comments', post_id: '1000145' }, success: function (data) { // todo sync comments count here! data have the counts }, error: function (i, b) { // todo } } ) }; };

appendFbScript(); }

appendFbScript();

})();

Continue Reading

Sports

Tyson Fury must face Whyte in next defence: WBC

Published

on

fury

World heavyweight champion Tyson Fury must face Dillian Whyte in his next title defence following a ruling on Tuesday by the World Boxing Council (WBC).

The WBC said Whyte has now been installed as mandatory challenger to Fury, who retained his crown with a thrilling knockout victory over Deontay Wilder in Las Vegas in October.

“The WBC hereby orders the start of the free negotiations period pursuant to the WBC Rules & Regulations for the mandatory bout between WBC World Heavyweight Champion Tyson Fury and Mandatory Challenger and WBC Interim World Champion Dillian Whyte,” the WBC said in a statement on Twitter.

The WBC initially said in October Fury would only have to face Whyte if he was unable to arrange an undisputed world title fight with Ukraine’s Oleksandr Usyk, the unified WBA, IBF and WBO heavyweight champion.

However after the 30-day window for Fury and Usyk to agree terms expired, the WBC have now moved to install Whyte as Fury’s next opponent.

Whyte last month accused Fury of “running away” from a planned showdown.

Read Also: UCL: Real Madrid seal top spot with Inter Milan win

“Fury has been mandated to fight me twice… he just keeps making excuses,” Whyte told Sky Sports.

“Hopefully now he’s got no choice. What’s he going to do? Throw the belt in the bin and run away from more money than he got to fight Wilder?”

Usyk is expected to face a rematch against former champion Anthony Joshua in early 2022. Usyk outclassed Joshua in September to dethrone the former unified champion.

Continue Reading

Sports

Rangnick confirms two imminent Man United backroom appointments

Published

on

Rangnick confirms two imminent Man United backroom appointments

Ralf Rangnick has confirmed two imminent additions to his backroom team at Manchester United.

The German arrived at Old Trafford as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s interim managerial successor last week following Michael Carrick’s caretaker stint in charge, winning his first match against Crystal Palace on Sunday.

While Carrick subsequently relinquished his role as first-team coach and left the club in something of a surprise, the likes of Mike Phelan, Darren Fletcher and Kieran McKenna all remain from the old coaching regime.

Rangnick was expected to confirm his own backroom additions in due course and confirmed speculation at a press conference held before Wednesday’s Champions League tie against Young Boys that former American international and New York Red Bulls and Toronto FC head coach Chris Armas would be arriving as assistant coach.

Sport psychologist Sascha Lense is also set to join United, but Rangnick insists there won’t be sweeping changes behind the scenes.

“It won’t be that many,” Rangnick said of his backroom additions. “So far I’m very happy to work with the staff I have met last week and they gave me a lot of help in the last couple of days in preparation of the Crystal Palace game.

“We have decided to bring in a sport psychologist with Sascha Lense. He’s from Germany, he is a former Second Division player. I used to work with him for three years at Leipzig.

“He will be introduced to the team as soon as he’s got his visa and work permit, so I very much hope that we will have him on board either tomorrow or at the latest on Thursday.

Everything Ralf Rangnick said in Manchester United press conference as two  appointments confirmed - Manchester Evening News

Read Also: UCL: Real Madrid seal top spot with Inter Milan win
“I will also have one other assistant coach with Chris Armas, who used to be the assistant coach at the New York Red Bulls under Jesse Marsch. That was five years ago when I first met him.

“Since then we have met quite frequently, also in my role as head of global for Red Bull.

“For the last three-and-a-half years he was head coach for the New York Red Bulls and for Toronto in the MLS and he will again hopefully be able to join us in our next two days.”

Continue Reading

Trending

NgGossips.com