Connect with us

Sports

Aurier sets sights on ‘winning a title’ in Spain after leaving Tottenham

Published

on

Aurier presenr

Former Tottenham Hotspur defender Serge Aurier has set his sights on winning a title with Villarreal after he joined them this summer.

The full-back’s four-year spell at Spurs came to an end this summer. He joined them in 2017 from French giants PSG.

The 28-year-old played 110 times for the Londoners before he left the club.

May be an image of 2 people, people sitting and indoor

Aurier’s contract was terminated ahead of the 2021/22 season. Earlier this month, Spanish side Villarreal announced that they had signed him on a free transfer.

The La Lig outfit won the Europa League at the end of the 2020/21 campaign. As reported by the Evening Standard, Aurier has explained why he decided to join Villarreal:

“The aim is to win a title,” Aurier said:

“I haven’t won a title for a while, and the club has a winning mentality, as we saw last year, but the most important thing is enjoying myself, enjoying the club, enjoying my family, and showing my quality and why I am here.”

Speaking on the signing, Villarreal boss Unai Emery suggested that Aurier’s “maturity has grown” in recent times:

“We sign people and I sign the footballer knowing what the person is like.

“He is a boy with a good heart, I think that with his maturity has grown and we are going to take advantage of that.”

Speaking earlier this month, Aurier hinted that he turned down move to Arsenal during the summer.

May be an image of 2 people

Read Also: PHOTOS: Chukwueze back in Villarreal training after injury layoff

On Spurs, he said: “I have never seen myself in another club in England if not at your place! And I did not see myself joining the enemy even less because I have too much respect for our club, for our history and for all our moments shared together.

“You have shown unfailing support during these four seasons and I really want to thank you because you have given me a lot! These last months have not been easy and I would have liked to say goodbye to you in better conditions, but each story comes to an end, you have to know how to accept it and move forward.”

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Gifted Cole boxing talent hunt attracts 500 Boxers

Published

on

Gifted Cole

 

Over 500 boxers have indicated interest in the third edition of Gifted Cole boxing talent hunt slated to hold on Saturday in Lekki, Lagos.

Speaking on the event, undefeated boxing champion, Gifted cole, said: “I am eager to see Nigerians dominate boxing and after what we saw during the 4th edition where a dumb and deaf boxer Segun thrilled fans.

READ ALSO Boxing: Joshua Angry, Wants “War” With Usyk  In Rematch

“We have decided to continue to engage grassroots boxers and the third edition promises to be greater than the previous editions.”

Gifted Cole
Gifted Cole boxing talent hunt for Saturday

Gifted cole boxing academy has also promised a brand new car for the best boxer of the day and the sum of One million naira, while the second placed and the third placed boxers would smile home with the sum of N500,000 and N300,000 respectively.

function appendFbScript() { var js, id = 'facebook-jssdk', fjs = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0];

if (document.getElementById(id)) return; js = document.createElement('script'); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&appId=474481306711139&version=v2.0"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);

window.fbAsyncInit = function () { FB.init({ appId: '474481306711139', xfbml: true, version: 'v2.0' }); FB.Event.subscribe('comment.create', function (comment_data) { console.log(comment_data); update_comments_count(); }); FB.Event.subscribe('comment.remove', function (comment_data) { update_comments_count(); });

function update_comments_count(comment_data, comment_action) { jQuery.ajax({ type: 'GET', dataType: 'json', url: 'https://sportinglife.ng/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php', data: { action: 'clear_better_facebook_comments', post_id: '1000145' }, success: function (data) { // todo sync comments count here! data have the counts }, error: function (i, b) { // todo } } ) }; };

appendFbScript(); }

appendFbScript();

})();

Continue Reading

Sports

Tyson Fury must face Whyte in next defence: WBC

Published

on

fury

World heavyweight champion Tyson Fury must face Dillian Whyte in his next title defence following a ruling on Tuesday by the World Boxing Council (WBC).

The WBC said Whyte has now been installed as mandatory challenger to Fury, who retained his crown with a thrilling knockout victory over Deontay Wilder in Las Vegas in October.

“The WBC hereby orders the start of the free negotiations period pursuant to the WBC Rules & Regulations for the mandatory bout between WBC World Heavyweight Champion Tyson Fury and Mandatory Challenger and WBC Interim World Champion Dillian Whyte,” the WBC said in a statement on Twitter.

The WBC initially said in October Fury would only have to face Whyte if he was unable to arrange an undisputed world title fight with Ukraine’s Oleksandr Usyk, the unified WBA, IBF and WBO heavyweight champion.

However after the 30-day window for Fury and Usyk to agree terms expired, the WBC have now moved to install Whyte as Fury’s next opponent.

Whyte last month accused Fury of “running away” from a planned showdown.

Read Also: UCL: Real Madrid seal top spot with Inter Milan win

“Fury has been mandated to fight me twice… he just keeps making excuses,” Whyte told Sky Sports.

“Hopefully now he’s got no choice. What’s he going to do? Throw the belt in the bin and run away from more money than he got to fight Wilder?”

Usyk is expected to face a rematch against former champion Anthony Joshua in early 2022. Usyk outclassed Joshua in September to dethrone the former unified champion.

Continue Reading

Sports

Rangnick confirms two imminent Man United backroom appointments

Published

on

Rangnick confirms two imminent Man United backroom appointments

Ralf Rangnick has confirmed two imminent additions to his backroom team at Manchester United.

The German arrived at Old Trafford as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s interim managerial successor last week following Michael Carrick’s caretaker stint in charge, winning his first match against Crystal Palace on Sunday.

While Carrick subsequently relinquished his role as first-team coach and left the club in something of a surprise, the likes of Mike Phelan, Darren Fletcher and Kieran McKenna all remain from the old coaching regime.

Rangnick was expected to confirm his own backroom additions in due course and confirmed speculation at a press conference held before Wednesday’s Champions League tie against Young Boys that former American international and New York Red Bulls and Toronto FC head coach Chris Armas would be arriving as assistant coach.

Sport psychologist Sascha Lense is also set to join United, but Rangnick insists there won’t be sweeping changes behind the scenes.

“It won’t be that many,” Rangnick said of his backroom additions. “So far I’m very happy to work with the staff I have met last week and they gave me a lot of help in the last couple of days in preparation of the Crystal Palace game.

“We have decided to bring in a sport psychologist with Sascha Lense. He’s from Germany, he is a former Second Division player. I used to work with him for three years at Leipzig.

“He will be introduced to the team as soon as he’s got his visa and work permit, so I very much hope that we will have him on board either tomorrow or at the latest on Thursday.

Everything Ralf Rangnick said in Manchester United press conference as two  appointments confirmed - Manchester Evening News

Read Also: UCL: Real Madrid seal top spot with Inter Milan win
“I will also have one other assistant coach with Chris Armas, who used to be the assistant coach at the New York Red Bulls under Jesse Marsch. That was five years ago when I first met him.

“Since then we have met quite frequently, also in my role as head of global for Red Bull.

“For the last three-and-a-half years he was head coach for the New York Red Bulls and for Toronto in the MLS and he will again hopefully be able to join us in our next two days.”

Continue Reading

Trending

NgGossips.com