Connect with us

National

How my husband, pastor killed our son for money ritual: Wife

Published

on

Crime

A housewife, Ifebuchukwu Onyeishi has narrated how her husband, Chidi Onyeishi in connivance with a nonagenarian pastor, allegedly killed their seven-year-old son for money ritual in Enugu.

Narrating the incident to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Thursday at her residence in Enugu, Mrs Onyeishi said she was heartbroken and in disbelief that her beloved husband could kill their third child for money ritual.

She said, “On Oct. 20, my husband, a keke driver, who had been caring for the family of three boys, three girls including me and himself refused to provide for us.

“He became harsh to us and I asked him the reason for the sudden change but he said nothing.

“Though he had been complaining of his keke disturbing him as he kept repairing it with his little savings, I advised him that the children and I were not complaining and would manage.”

The housewife said on the same day, she discovered that her third child, Chimdalu, was missing and all efforts to locate his whereabouts proved abortive.

“We searched everywhere but we could not find him. I called my husband several times but he was not responding but he later called back in the evening and I told him that our son was missing.

“My husband said he knew nothing about his whereabouts. He left the house and came to tell me that where he went to inquire, that he was told that the child was taken out of Enugu.

“At that moment, I began to pray and my husband too went to his altar in the house and prayed as well”.

Mrs Onyeishi said she kept insisting that her husband knew where their son was because all fingers were pointing at him as neighbours saw him last with the child.

She further said that her husband on his own went to the chairman of the Neighborhood Watch where he confessed to killing his missing child for money ritual.

The mother of six children, said the matter was reported to the Central Police Station, Coal Camp, Enugu who came and arrested him.

“Seeing him with the exhumed corpse of my son, I felt that my world had collapsed.

“And my annoyance was that he followed us in search of him while he was the one that killed him,” she cried.

She added that since the incident, people in her street had been catering for her and her five children, adding that none of the husband’s family has visited them since the incident.

Mrs Onyeishi, who hails from Nsukka in Enugu State, appealed to Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi and well meaning Nigerians to support her and her family as the breadwinner was no longer providing for them.

“My remaining five kids are aged 10, nine, five and three years old respectively while the last one is seven months old and we live at the mercy of my neighbours.

“I know that we are suffering now but the government should not release him. He must pay for his crime,” she added.

A neighbour who pleaded anonymity said the boy was such a promising child before his death.

The neighbour described the boy’s father as ‘callous’, adding that he ought to be killed the manner he killed his son.

When NAN visited her residence at no 25 Taylor street at Coal Camp, she and her five children had moved to the neighbours house next to her building.

Meanwhile, police preliminary investigation revealed that the husband confessed to the crime and led police operatives to the arrest of a pastor, Okeke Eneokwor, 95, whom he fingered as an accomplice.

He led police operatives and medical team to a stream in Abakpa-Nike, Enugu, where the decomposing corpse of the minor was exhumed from a shallow grave.

The Commissioner of Police, Abubakar Lawal, who confirmed the incident ordered a thorough investigation that would lead to the arrest and prosecution of everyone found culpable in the act.

(NAN)

National

ECA proposes $7.1trillion ‘New Deal’ for Africa

Published

on

361C3BA1 8D02 43A8 B49A 977983725C90

A ‘New Deal’ worth $7.1 trillion is the only pathway to reviving Africa’s economy that has taken a downward spiral since the outbreak of COVID-19, says the Economic Commission for Africa (ECA).

ECA Executive Secretary Antonio Pedro made this disclosure at the ongoing African Economic Conference (AEC) to chart a new path for Africa’s post-COVID-19 economic recovery.

He likened the proposed deal to a similar deal by the U.S. between 1933 and 1939 during the presidency of Franklin Roosevelt.

He pointed out that the American deal then was worth $41.7 billion, an amount which he said now equalled $653 billion.

Mr Pedro said that the new deal for Africa would form part of the external funds required by Africa to, among other things, address the rising risk of African debt defaults amid the Covid-19 pandemic.

“On the external front, Africa needs a new deal to recover from the ravages of the pandemic. Roosevelt’s New Deal cost $41.7 billion at the time it was instituted.

“Given Africa’s current population of 1.37 billion, a New Deal would have to deliver $7.1 trillion in financing to equate the U.S. New Deal on a per capita basis.

“The resources required to finance a New Deal are enormous and cannot be funded exclusively through public resources. Private funding will be critical.

“Yet we are all aware the cost of private financing is high. At the same time, private direct capital investments are motivated more by economic rates of return than by social welfare considerations.

“Blending public financing with private resources can redirect more private investments and financing to social and other orphaned sectors through risk-sharing and risk mitigation,” he said.

He said that the ECA had partnered to launch the Liquidity and Sustainability Facility (LSF) at the margins of COP26 to lower the cost of portfolio investments in emerging markets and crowd in a new class of investors into the continent.

He said that the LSF seeks to use on-lent SDRs to leverage private financing by making it possible for holders of African sovereign bonds to access short term financing using such instruments as collateral. 

Continue Reading

National

Business as usual despite ongoing Oye-Ekiti council polls

Published

on

VOTERS AT POLLING BOOTH

Despite the ongoing local government election in Oye-Ekiti Local Government Area of Ekiti State on Saturday, vehicles can be seen moving around without restrictions.

Fuel stations, retail shops and food vendors were open to business.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that a handful of Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) and the police operatives are deployed at strategic locations in the area.

Similarly, men and women of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) are at hand to ensure safety on the roads.

Operators of commuter vehicles were also seen seeking passengers to transport to other parts of the state.

Security officers were not in any of the polling units visited in Oye-Ekiti and nearby Ikole-Ekiti Local Government Areas at the time of this report.

Elections are being held for the 16 local government councils of Ekiti State.

Continue Reading

National

COVID-19: Nigeria records two deaths as Omicron variant hits 38 countries

Published

on

vaccine

Two additional fatalities from the coronavirus pandemic were announced on Friday by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).

In addition, 197 fresh cases were reported across five states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).

The NCDC disclosed in its daily Covid-19 report on Saturday morning.

The 197 additional cases reported on Friday indicate an increase from the 47 cases reported in the country on Friday, December 3.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) had said that the omicron variant, now detected in 38 countries, appears to be more contagious than the Covid-19 delta variant.

“Omicron has some 30 mutations on the spike protein, which is the mechanism used to bind to human cells.

“Some of these mutations are associated with higher transmission and the ability to escape immune protection,” WHO had said.

Meanwhile, the Nigerian Public Health Institute said the country’s fatality toll from the disease now stood at 2,980.

The NCDC added that to date, 214, 513 cases had been confirmed with 207,403 cases discharged and 2,980 deaths recorded in 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory.

Lagos is reported to have 138 cases; Rivers -23; FCT – 18; Imo – 15; Bauchi – 1 and Gombe -1.

The agency added that a total of 3,580,510 blood samples have been tested since the pandemic began across the country.

Meanwhile, South African scientists have found that omicron is associated with a “substantial ability” to re-infect people who already had COVID-19, compared with past variants of the virus.

The study, published by the South African Centre for Epidemiological Modelling and Analysis and the National Institute of Communicable Diseases, has not yet been peer-reviewed.

Continue Reading

Trending

NgGossips.com