Connect with us

Nation

Pilot and passenger make miraculous escape and SWIM to shore after their plane crashed into ocean

Published

on

50430937 10197785 image m 62 1636791815839

BREAKING NEWS: Pilot and his passenger make a miraculous escape and SWIM to shore after their plane crashed into the ocean – shocking beachgoers enjoying 31-degree temperatures on the sand

  • Plane crashed at City Beach in Perth on Saturday, emergency crews at scene
  • Incident was at 3.30pm local time in Perth, involved a pilot and one passenger
  • Both were able to safely exit the aircraft after they encountered engine trouble 

A plane has crashed into the ocean at City Beach in Perth – with the pilot and passenger then remarkably swimming to safety.

Police were on the scene after responding to a report of a small aircraft crashing into the water around 3.30pm local time.

It has since been confirmed the aircraft was a small plane, which encountered engine troubles.

Both the pilot and passenger were then forced to manoeuvre the plane into the ocean.

The pair were able to safely exit the aircraft and swim to shore, which was 20 metres away.

After encountering engine trouble, the pilot had to manoeuvre the plane into the ocean at City Beach in Perth (pictured)

With temperatures in Perth above 30 degrees, the incident was witnessed by dozens of beachgoers on Saturday

With temperatures in Perth above 30 degrees, the incident was witnessed by dozens of beachgoers on Saturday

The initial response to the incident at City Beach in Perth included multiple police units on the ground, Water Police (vessel) and Police Air Wing.

The initial response to the incident at City Beach in Perth included multiple police units on the ground, Water Police (vessel) and Police Air Wing.

The crash was witnessed by many beachgoers, who were out enjoying the 31 degree temperatures in the West. 

The initial response to the incident included multiple police units on the ground, Water Police (vessel) and Police Air Wing.

WA Police Inspector Vic Hussey said the two men had been roughly 20 to 30 minutes into a hobby flight from Jandakot Airport when the pilot reported engine troubles.

‘He’d flown north across the coast, he just said to me he was looking for a safe spot to land and the safest spot he could work out was the ocean so that’s where he’s landed,’ Insp. Hussey said.

He also commended the efforts of the pilot and those who heroically went to help amid the choppy conditions.

City Beach is located just 10km from Perth’s CBD.  

Advertisement

Nation

Intoxicated Sheriff Who Damaged 2 Boats When Trying to Dock Sentenced to Home Confinement

Published

on

arizona sheriff david rhodes drunk boating

An Arizona county sheriff pleaded guilty Thursday to driving a boat and hitting two others trying to dock the boat while intoxicated and was sentenced to probation and two days of home confinement, according to The Associated Press.

Yavapai County Sheriff David Rhodes, 48, was trying to help a friend dock a boat on Lake Powell in August with a blood alcohol well level over the legal limit of 0.08 percent.

He was sentenced to one year of probation, two days of home confinement, about $500 in fees, and was banned from the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area, which houses Lake Powell, along with not being able to drink alcohol while on probation.

Rhodes allegedly tried to park the boat multiple times with a blood alcohol level that tested at 0.119 percent and 0.113 percent, hitting two other boats nearby which the police report estimated to cause about $2,000 in damages. Rhodes said he paid for the repairs that totaled about $400.

The sheriff in his first term said he deeply regrets the mistake and has completed the required boating safety course and substance abuse treatment program that was part of the plea agreement.

“I should have said no and I didn’t, and that’s my responsibility,” he told U.S. Magistrate Judge Camille Bibles, hearing his case. “Not accepting responsibility was never an option for me.”

Bibles said she appreciated that he took responsibility for his actions and didn’t try to use his position of authority to avoid punishment. The judge added she would potentially consider ending his probation early if it goes smoothly.

For more reporting from The Associated Press, see below.

This photo taken Aug. 10, 2017, then-Yavapai County sheriff’s Chief Deputy David Rhodes, right, speaking with then-Arizona U.S. Sen. Jeff Flake, center, during a tour of an area threatened by a wildfire. Rhodes pleaded guilty in federal court Thursday to operating a boat while under the influence of alcohol at Lake Powell.
Bob Christie/Associated Press File

Rhodes received two citations — one for operating a boat under the influence and another for operating with a blood-alcohol content of at least 0.08 percent, the legal limit for driving a vehicle in Arizona.

Each misdemeanor citation carried a maximum of six months in jail and a $5,000 fine.

Rhodes, a Republican, ran unopposed last year and is accountable only to the public. He cannot be disciplined or fired.

Rhodes said he was drinking with family members and friends at the lake on the Arizona-Utah border and they had designated boat operators who weren’t drinking.

When his friend had trouble docking a boat, Rhodes said he tried to coach him and they tried to get someone from the marina to help but were told everyone had gone home for the day.

Rhodes tried to do it himself but had difficulty operating the boat amid swirling wind, according to a Coconino County Sheriff’s Office report.

The owners of the damaged boats did not seek restitution through the court.

Rhodes, who has worked for the sheriff’s office for 28 years, issued a statement days after he was cited, acknowledging wrongdoing.

His lawyer, Stephen Glazer, said that made it a little difficult to defend Rhodes.

“He makes public statements admitting liability — not necessarily great for his defense — but that’s just the way he is wired,” Glazer said during the hearing. “A wrong was committed, he’s going to accept responsibility and make it right.”

Bibles said she considered his lack of criminal history, cooperation with law enforcement and taking responsibility in accepting the plea agreement.

“That is something I would expect from an individual in your position,” she said.

Continue Reading

Nation

Emirates Airline Lifts 11-Month Flight Suspension On Nigeria

Published

on

Emirates 1

Emirates Airline has said that it will resume its passenger operations between Dubai and Nigeria from December 5 2021.

The decision by the Dubai based airline is coming days after the Federal Government lifted its flight ban on the United Arab Emirates.

UAE has also dropped the Rapid Antigen Test (RDT) for COVID-19 as a prerequisite for travelling to the Middle East country for Nigerians and some other countries five days ago.

In the fresh development, the airline announced on Thursday in a statement on its website seen by THE WHISTLER that it has dropped its 11-month flight suspension to Nigeria.

Emirates said, “The world’s largest international airline will operate to and from its Nigerian gateways with daily flights, providing travelers from Nigeria convenient access to Dubai, which remains a highly popular holiday and business destination.

“Emirates will operate to Abuja with EK 785 and 786. EK 785 will depart Dubai at 1100hrs, arriving in Abuja at 1540hrs. The return flight, EK 786 will take off from Abuja at 1900, arriving in Dubai at 0435hrs the next day.

“Emirates flight EK 783 to Lagos will depart Dubai at 1030hrs, arriving in Lagos at 1540hrs. The return flight EK 784 will depart Lagos at 1810hrs, arriving in Dubai at 0415hrs the next day. All flights can be booked on emirates.com, with OTAs and via travel agents.”

The fight between the FG and the UAE began when UAE directed Nigerian travelers at the Lagos and Abuja airports to conduct a Rapid Antigen Test which was opposed by the FG.

The FG also retaliated by banning Emirates from operating in Nigeria since February 2021.

Read Full Story

Continue Reading

Nation

Alec Baldwin Hits Back at Trump and George Clooney in Explosive Interview

Published

on

The Paradise Breaking News

Six weeks later, Alec Baldwin claims he still has no idea how he ended up shooting and killing cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the set of his ill-fated western Rust.

The actor spoke out for the first time this week—outside of a heated run-in with paparazzi in Vermont—in an exclusive primetime special with ABC News’ George Stephanopoulos that aired Thursday night. And in the tearful interview, he denied actually pulling the trigger in the deadly shooting and at the same time described the incident as the “worst thing” that has ever happened to him. He said he is taking solace in the fact that he believes he was not “responsible” for Hutchins’ death and that he might have killed himself had he really felt her death was his fault.

Baldwin said he was doing the interview to clear up “misconceptions” around the shooting and that he really felt like he couldn’t “wait” until all of the official law enforcement reports are released months from now. His biggest concern, he said, is that he doesn’t want to “come across like I’m the victim, because we have two victims here,” referring to Hutchins and director Joel Souza, who was injured by the same bullet.

Talking about Hutchins and her work, the actor was quick to break down in tears, something he did repeatedly throughout the hour-long special. He similarly sobbed when he talked about how he “used to love making movies” and Rust made him “love making movies again” before the tragic accident occurred.

Despite complaints from crew members about the safety conditions on set, Baldwin, who also served as a producer on Rust, told Stephanopoulos that he never heard “one word” about those concerns before the shooting. Getting into the nitty-gritty of what happened on the day in question, Baldwin revealed, devastatingly, “This was a completely incidental shot, an angle that may not have ended up in the film at all.”

He explained that the gun went off when he cocked the hammer and then let go—hence the assertion that he never actually pulled the trigger. “I would never point a gun at anyone and pull a trigger at them,” he said. “Never, ever. That was the training I had.”

Now, he says he “can’t imagine” ever doing a movie again that even has a gun in it. “I really can’t,” Baldwin added.

Earlier in the day on Thursday, the film’s assistant director Dave Halls backed up Baldwin’s claim via his attorney. “The entire time Baldwin had his finger outside the trigger guard, parallel to the barrel, and that he told me since day one he thought it was a misfire,” lawyer Lisa Toracco told Good Morning America. “And until Alec said that it was just really hard to believe. But Dave has told me since the first day I met him that Alec did not pull that trigger.”

“The gun was supposed to be empty,” Baldwin added. “I was told I was handed an empty gun.” When Hutchins collapsed, he said he first thought maybe she had fainted or had a heart attack, because “the idea that someone put a live bullet in the gun” was unthinkable.

The gun was supposed to be empty. I was told I was handed an empty gun.

Baldwin also addressed the “torrent of criticism” that came his way once the story went public. In response to those who have said actors are never supposed to point a gun directly at anyone on a set, he said, “Unless the person is the cinematographer who is directing me where to point the gun for her camera angle.”

The actor also hit back at George Clooney, who recently told podcaster Marc Maron that it would be “insane” for an actor not to check a prop gun to make sure that it doesn’t contain live rounds.

“Well, there were a lot of people who felt it necessary to contribute some comment to the situation, which really didn’t help the situation at all,” Baldwin said, pointedly. “If your protocol is you’re checking the gun every time, well, good for you. Good for you.”

Despite not wanting to play the victim, Baldwin did complain about how “tough” it has been to have people calling him a “murderer” on social media and elsewhere. That includes former President Donald Trump, who Baldwin famously enraged with his long-running Saturday Night Live impression.

“In my opinion, he had something to do with it,” Trump said of Baldwin, even suggesting that “maybe he loaded” the gun himself.

“He said that I did it deliberately,” Baldwin replied in disbelief. “Just when you think things can’t get any more surreal, here’s the president of the United States making a comment on this tragic situation.”

As for what happens next, Baldwin says he’s been told by people “in the know” that it’s “highly unlikely” he will face any criminal charges related to the shooting. And while he has some “ideas” about how a live round got onto the set in the first place, he said he would be leaving those questions to the investigators.

Now, Baldwin said that he is focusing on his family and doesn’t “give a fuck” about his career anymore. Asked if that career is over, he replied, “It could be.”

Continue Reading

Trending

NgGossips.com