A health practitioner and certified nurse, Mrs Esther Oke has revealed that self-medicating on analgesics especially Paracetamol portends great danger to the body.
This is as she advised that every drug ingested should be based on the prescription of a registered or certified physician or health practitioner.
Oke in a telephone chat with DAILY POST on Sunday disclosed that many Nigerians have abused paracetamol over the years because of ignorance.
She explained that the drug which is a generic name for Over The Counter (OTC) analgesics was a powerful combination of pharmaceutical substances which may cause damage to the human liver over time of taking indiscriminately.
While declaring that every medication had its own side effects on the body, Oke hinted that the body system has a way of expelling unused substances from it.
The certified nurse kicked against overdose by some individuals.
In her words, “The use of three paracetamol tablets instead of the two by some individuals is against international best practices and research over the years has shown that the drug should be taken in two tablets, three times daily for the duration of treatment.”
She explained that taking paracetamol for vomiting, diarrhoea and depression is a dangerous habit that should be discouraged because it is not the solution to the ailments.
She also added that people take paracetamol for the slightest excuse because they can obtain it OTC being one of the cheapest drugs available.
“Paracetamol may be cheap but it is a ticking time bomb that can destroy the liver if abused.
“Only take the right dose of paracetamol when it is needed.”
COVID-19: We’re monitoring emerging evidence on Omicron variant – NCDC
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), has said it is monitoring emerging evidence on Omicron variant and its implications, to inform Nigeria’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Director General, NCDC, Dr. Ifedayo Adetifa, disclosed this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), on Sunday in Abuja.
Omicron was first identified from testing done on Nov. 9, 2021, in Botswana on travellers from West Africa.
It was reported to the World Health Organisation (WHO) on identification of cases among a cluster of young unvaccinated people in South Africa on Nov. 24, 2021.
While this variant has so far not been detected in Nigeria, a number of cases have now been reported in the UK, Israel, Botswana, Hong-Kong, Germany, Belgium, Italy and many more countries.
WHO has also urged countries to enhance their surveillance and virus sequencing efforts to increase their understanding of the circulating variants.
Reacting, Adetifa said that the Federal Ministry of Health (FMOH) and NCDC are aware of reports of a new COVID-19 variant – the B.1.1.529 lineage.
“The FMOH and NCDC are monitoring emerging evidence on this new variant and its implication, to inform Nigeria’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
“Given the high number of mutations present in the Omicron variant and the exponential rise in COVID-19 cases observed in South Africa, this virus is considered highly transmissible and may also present an increased risk of reinfection compared to other VOCs,” he added.
He, however, said the fears about the variant’s ability to evade protective immune responses and/or its being vaccine resistant were only theoretical so far.
“This virus can still be detected with existing Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) tests. The WHO and researchers across the world are working at speed to gain understanding of the likely impact of this variant on the severity of COVID-19 and on the potency of existing vaccines and therapeutics,” he added.
The NCDC boss added that the agency would continues to ensure daily review of surveillance data and uses this to inform public health decision making.
He, therefore, urged all States to ensure that sample collection and testing are accessible, so that travellers, people with symptoms or who have been exposed to COVID-19 cases get tested promptly.
COVID-19: South Africa condemns ‘punishment’ over Omicron variant detection
EPL: Man United abusing Cristiano Ronaldo, making him average player – Michael Owen
Michael Owen has said that Manchester United’s use of Cristiano Ronaldo borders on ‘abuse’, adding that they want to turn the 5-time ballon d’Or winner into an average player.
Ronaldo was only introduced late into the second half in United’s 1-1 draw against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.
The Portugal international has scored ten goals in 15 appearances for the Red Devils so far this season.
And Owen noted that the former Real Madrid forward is often left to run the side’s attack and says the lack of support he gets is ‘abusive’.
Asked whether he’d like to play in United’s team, Owen told Premier League Productions: “No you can’t! We were at Old Trafford for the City game the other day and all of a sudden it’s just exactly the same they leave Cristiano Ronaldo up front on his own. That’s almost abuse!
“Having someone that good in your team and then playing everyone defensively and saying ‘That’s alright we’ll just hope he nicks a goal’ he’ll end up being average.
“If you leave him and all these good players or just two of them playing and everyone else defending they’ll start putting in bad performances because they’ve got nobody to pass to, they’ve got no options, they’re chipping the ball form 50 yards away. They need other players to come up and help them.
“It’s almost abusing the good players they’ve got and that’s the last thing you’ve got to do. If anything, expose the rubbish! Find ways of getting world class players in your team, get Pogba, get Fernandes, get Ronaldo, get them as best as you can.
“If you let a few goals in because Bailly’s not great or Wan-Bissaka or whoever it may be then fine you can replace them but at the minute because they’re nervous and scared they just bulk up with sitting midfielders and more defenders and abuse the great players up front leaving half of them on the bench and one or two to play, they’ve got no chance!”
Lagos EndSARS panel illegal, can’t probe military, police – Keyamo
The Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Festus Keyamo (SAN), has described the Lagos State EndSARS panel as “illegal”.
Keyamo also claimed it was not within their jurisdiction to investigate Federal Government institutions and officers of the Nigeria Police Force and the Nigerian Army.
The minister stated this while appearing on Sunday Politics on Channels Television.
The panel had stated in its report that at least nine persons were killed on October 20, 2020, when soldiers and policemen stormed the Lekki tollgate to disperse #EndSARS protesters and described the incident as a “massacre in context.”
However, Keyamo was asked why the President Muhammadu Buhari called for constitution of panels across the states to investigate cases of human rights abuses while the Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, would later dismiss the report by the Lagos panel.
He said, “I will not answer this question as a sitting minister. I will answer this question as a Senior Advocate of Nigeria – a member of the Inner Bar, and so I am entitled to my opinion. This is not the Federal Government’s position. From me, that panel was an illegal panel. It was totally illegal.
“All lawyers who are listening to me should go back and read the Tribunals of Enquiry Act of Lagos State. It says that the governor will have the powers to inquire into the conduct of any person – underline any person – and chieftaincy matters and any other matter that will promote the good of the public.
“However, ‘any person’ there was defined in Section 21 to mean public officers of the state. It is defined to mean somebody within the public service of Lagos State or of the local government as the case may be.
“Then, the phrase was used at the end of Section 1 that says ‘any matter’…that they can inquire into any matter. People now think that to inquire into any matter, it means that you can just be at large.
“However, if you look at Section 21 again, it says that it has to be within the legislative competence of Lagos State. In other words, it is only people over whom the Lagos State has control that they can inquire into their conduct. If you don’t have control over me, you cannot inquire into my conduct.
“Policemen, the Armed Forces, military; they are not under or officers of Lagos State, they are officers of the Federal Government. By virtue of the Constitution, it is only the Federal Government that can control the conduct of policemen and the military. Lagos State cannot be in control; they cannot legislate too, regarding police and military matters; they are on the Exclusive Legislative List.”
National2 days ago
Lagos: FG to begin mass demolition in FESTAC
National3 days ago
Petroleum marketers back Buhari regime’s 2022 subsidy removal
National3 days ago
Tertiary Institutions Entrepreneurship: CBN gives N30 million to six students
Lifestyle3 days ago
5 reasons why you should always sleep on your left side
Latest Update3 days ago
EPL: PSG opens up on appointing Zidane, Pochettino’s move to Man United
Lifestyle2 days ago
Check out photos of the world’s first transparent car
Gossips2 days ago
”We are back” – Peter and Paul Okoye announce ”Psquare Reactivated” at Livespot concert
World News3 days ago
Vigilantes Tie ‘Thieves’ To Lamp Post And Paint Their Faces Like The Joker