- Impounds 129 motorcycles (Okada) over the weekend
- Nabs fake policeman at Oshodi
- Seeks citizen’s support to combat crime in Lagos
The Lagos State Environmental and Special Offences Enforcement Unit (Taskforce) has said that motorists who have developed the habit and passion for driving against traffic (one-way) should be bold and courageous enough to face the mobile court.
Speaking at the agency’s headquarters Monday at Safety Arena, Bolade Oshodi, Lagos, the chairman of the agency, CSP Shola Jejeloye in a swift reaction to an online video of one Mr. George Udeze on his Facebook page who alleged that Taskforce had impounded his White Honda Accord with registration number 03-566 DLA about seven months ago.
In a statement by Gbadeyan Abdulraheem, head, public affairs department, Lagos state taskforce, he said the chairman said that there was no iota of truth in the report of the video, stressing that, the man in question’s vehicle was impounded for driving against traffic at Allen Avenue inward Opebi Road.
He explained that the man having discovered that there was traffic around the area, faced oncoming vehicles thereby creating a serious traffic bottleneck.
The chairman further stated that all efforts by Taskforce Officials led by a Senior Police Officer to persuade him to roll down his vehicle window glass for possible engagement on why he had to do that, proved abortive, but rather than being civil in his approach and conduct, he started making several phone calls and kept them waiting for hours, mobilizing the general public against the agency’s officials and threatened to deal with them, having known the degree and the magnitude of the offence committed which attracts forfeiture of the vehicle to the state government.
CSP Jejeloye stated that Mr. Udeze in his ungentlemanly posture stated in the report that he was afraid when he saw policemen controlling traffic for ease of his own mobility and doing their lawful duties, but rather than encourage them for the patriotic act due to traffic pressure on the road, he chose to see them in his own imagination as nothing but kidnappers’ when the likes of him had blocked free flow of traffic around the area by their selfish conduct.
“Let me emphasise here that you don’t need to be afraid of policemen if you are doing the right things, after all if your security is threatened you will still run to police for safety of lives and property,” he said.
Consequently, the offender also alleged in the video that his vehicle had been confiscated for the past seven months. The chairman responded that “Our duty is to effect the arrest of offenders, but we do not have the power to issue fines and penalties, it is a legal issue which has to be decided by a court of competent jurisdiction.”
According to the agency, all efforts put in place to let offenders bring their particulars forward to enable the agency charge them to court always proved abortive.
Some of them resorted to lobbying the agency officials through several influences, cutting corners and monetary inducement to escape justice, and when those failed, they resorted to blackmailing through needless media war and propaganda against the agency’s officials; accusing them of extortions, assault, bribery and corruption.
“The era of settling traffic offenses (one-way) out of court is gone. If you are courageous and hard enough to drive against traffic, you must also be bold enough to face the court for its consequences,” Jejeloye stated.
He emphasised that “traffic bottlenecks popularly known as (Go slow and Hold ups) are not natural, it is not created by God, but a product of a minute recklessness and two minutes impatience on the road,” the chairman opined.
The Taskforce Chairman admonished all recalcitrant offenders that traffic offence is not a criminal offence, they should keep faith with the country’s judicial system and summon courage to submit themselves for prosecution at the court for the offence committed.
“It is better and cheaper for them to face the reality of the offence they committed, rather than being evasive or working assiduously to settle out of court in order to sweep the issue under the carpet which is not acceptable to us. Nigerians are no fools,” he said.
In a related development, the chairman stated that the agency in its drive to rid Lagos of menace of Okada riders on it’s highways has impounded over 129 motorcycles over the weekend.
He further said that the agency will not condone any act of indiscipline and lawlessness from any recalcitrant Okada operators on the restricted route.
Meanwhile, the agency in its drive to maintain a crime free festive season has again busted a criminal syndicate who specialises in extorting unsuspecting members of public and arresting of Okada riders under the guise of being a security operative attached to Lagos State Taskforce.
One suspect, Emmanuel Okoh who operates between Ajah and Oshodi area of the state, was arrested kitted in Mobile Police uniform with tactical jacket at Oshodi during the agency’s raid of blackspots and enforcement for compliance in the area as part of the efforts of the agency to achieve zero tolerance to criminal activities during yuletide period. All the suspects will be charged to court.
Jejeloye advised members of public to be vigilant, report any suspicious activities around them to the Agency and help the Agency in her drive to fish out fake policemen parading themselves as Taskforce officials.
He enjoined Lagosians to support the agency in her efforts to instil discipline and achieve the state’s vision of zero tolerance for driving against traffic and other related offences. “Taskforce was created to maintain law, order and sanity where there is none. Enforcement of one-way traffic laws is not a tea party as the offenders would do anything humanly possible to escape justice, and in the process the offender can kill, maim, cause serious injury to innocent members of the public in his bid to escape from the scene,” he said.
“Driving against traffic is tantamount to attempted murder as unsuspecting road users may not notice the vehicle coming from the opposite direction,” he added.
Kaduna govt sacks 233 teachers over fake certificates
The Kaduna State Government has dismissed 233 teachers for providing forged certificates during their recruitment process.
Tijani Abdullahi, Chairman of the State Universal Basic Education Board, announced during a press conference in Kaduna on Thursday.
He claimed that the teachers were dismissed following inquiries from the institutions they claimed to have attended, which revealed they had presented falsified certificates.
According to the SUBEB Chairman, the decision to investigate the teachers’ certificates began in April 2021 as part of the Board’s responsibility to ensure that all teachers have the qualifications they presented.
According to him, the main goal of the exercise is to ensure that all of our teachers have the necessary credentials that constitute the fundamental qualifications for employment as teachers.
According to the Kaduna SUBEB Chairman, 451 certificates have been verified so far by contacting the institutions that awarded the certificates, with nine of the 13 institutions contacted responding.
“So far, the Board has verified 451certificates by contacting the institutions that awarded the certificates. Nine of the 13 institutions contacted have responded, as of today,” he said.
“The responses from the institutions show that 233 teachers presented fake certificates. This represents 51% of the 451 certificates on which responses have been received from the awarding institutions. One institution disowned 212 of these 233 fake certificates.
“The Board will dismiss the 233 teachers who presented these fake certificates, while their files will be forwarded to the Ministry of Justice to initiate prosecution for forgery. The Board will continue to check the integrity of the certificates presented by teachers to ensure that this critical profession is not devalued by impostors.
“As part of our duty of transparency, the names of the 233 teachers found to have presented fake certificates will be uploaded on the website of the Kaduna State Government today.”
The Board also announced that beginning in January 2022; it will administer a new competency test to 12,254 teachers as part of its ongoing assessment of teachers for their development as well as for better learning delivery.
It will be recalled that the Kaduna State Government hired 25,000 new teachers in 2017 after dismissing over 22,000 unqualified ones following a competency review.
RCCG parish launches dating site, says there’s no marriage in heaven
The City of David parish of the Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG) in Victoria Island, Lagos, has launched a new dating website.
“There is no marriage in heaven!” declared the church on its official Facebook page, just days after the website went live. “We’re here to help you connect and, hopefully, meet your better half.”
A look at the website reveals that the dating platform connects adults in courtship and marriage.
Before being approved, prospective participants must register and have their information processed. However, participants are not required to pay any fees to use the platform.
According to the church, the platform’s goal is to connect people for courtship and marriage.
According to a statement on the dating site, users of the dating site were advised to conduct due diligence before connecting with other participants.
“The Redeemed Christian Church of God, City of David Parish makes no representations or warranties and expressly disclaims any and all liability concerning any damages sustained by any registrant as a result of connecting with anyone on this platform,” the disclaimer said.
The Parish Pastor, Idowu Iluyomade, said in a video posted to the platform’s Facebook page that people on the forum are of varying ages.
“We have from ages 20, 25 to 65,” Pastor Idowu said on social media.
The platform is already organizing virtual masterclasses for participants in which critical ingredients for a successful marriage are taught.
JUST IN: Amaechi visits Nnamdi Kanu in DSS custody
Chief Mbazulike Amaechi, a First Republic parliamentarian and former Minister of Aviation, on Thursday visited the detained leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, who is in the custody of the Department of State Services (DSS).
This was made known by Kanunta Kanu, younger brother of Nnamdi Kanu via his known social media pages.
Amaechi visited Kanu alongside the co-Chair of the Interfaith Dialogue Forum for Peace, Bishop Sunday Onuoha. Nnamdi Kanu’s sibling said the visitors “had a meaningful interaction” with the IPOB leader.
“Chief Mbazuruike Amaechi and His Grace Bishop Sunday .N. Onuoha visited their son #MaziNnamdiKanu the leader of IPOB at #DSS Headquarters in Abuja today, where they hard a meaningful interaction,” Kanunta Kanu wrote.
POLITICS NIGERIA recalls that twelve days ago, Chief Amaechi, a nonagenarian, led Igbo elders to Aso Rock Villa where they met President Muhammadu Buhari and asked for Kanu who has been held since June, to be freed.
There, Buhari said the unconditional release of the IPOB leader, who is currently standing trial for treason, runs contrary to the doctrine of separation of powers between the executive and judiciary.
On Thursday, Justice Binta Nyako of a Federal High Court in Abuja rescheduled Kanu’s trial from January 19 to 18, 2022.
The shift in the trial date followed the abridgement of time granted by the Judge following a passionate plea to that effect.
Kanu’s lead lawyer, Ifeanyi Ejiofor had approached the Court with an application seeking an order of the Court to accommodate the trial in November and December this year as against the earlier January 19, 2022.
The prosecuting Attorney of the Federal Government, Shuaib Labaran, however, told the Court that a counter affidavit opposing the request by the government has been filled and served on Kanu.
Justice Nyako informed Kanu’s lawyer that the application for time abridgement cannot be granted because there was no judicial time for such an issue.
During the drama that ensued, the case diary of the Court was read to the lawyer to establish that the Court has crowded pending cases.
Following the insistence, Justice Nyako agreed to shift other cases slated for January 18 to accommodate the trial which would last till January 19 and 20.
Justice Nyako ordered the DSS to allow Kanu to practice his faith, change his clothes and be given the maximum possible comfort in the detention facility.
Nation2 days ago
Matt Walsh’s Children’s Book Hits Number 1 On Amazon List Hours After Launch
Gossips2 days ago
Riot in Cameroon as man wins $22 million only for Sports betting company to allegedly delete his account (Video)
News22 hours ago
RCCG Parish Launches Dating Site For Singles
Gossips2 days ago
Man cancels date with lady he just met because she refused to give him money (Screenshot)
Health1 day ago
How To Make Your Bigger Bum Naturally -Doksblog
Nation1 day ago
Why Can't I See My Spotify Wrapped? Yearly Review Not Working for Some Users
Health3 days ago
Is Douching Bad For You? -Doksblog
Health3 days ago
Benefits Of Crayfish -Doksblog