Connect with us

News

#EndSARS: We Want Anyone Who Killed A Soul To Be Prosecuted, Falz Reacts To Panel Report

Published

on

falz

Nigerian singer and rapper, Folarin Falana, who performs under the stage name Falz, has reacted to the Lagos Judicial Panel of Inquiry report submitted to the Lagos State government on Monday, saying all the perpetrators indicted must be prosecuted.

The report which was submitted on Monday by the justice Doris Okwuobi-led panel confirmed that people were killed at the Lekki Toll Gate by soldiers and police officers on the night of October 20, 2020, and further classified it as a massacre. 

Speaking during an interview with Arise News, which was monitored by Newsbreak on Tuesday, Falz said there is no amount of appeal from the government that will bring back lost souls nor fix traumas.

The singer, who is also a lawyer and the son of prominent human rights activist, Femi Falana, commended the panel for not comprising the report.

He said: “Everyone saw the video. It was so disturbing that for a moment , they made us doubt our sanity . It’s embarrassing that a governor made a statement that it did not happen. He said he went there and also the so-called Minister of Information said everything was fake. It is embarrassing.

“I’m glad that the panel has come to this conclusion. They all did a great job.

“I’m surprised that the panel didn’t compromise. The evidence was overwhelming. There was so much evidence and people picked up bullets from the scene. I’m glad that there wasn’t any shady business and they were able to draw recommendations.”

Commenting on the inauguration of the four-man committee by the Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, to come up with a White Paper report, Falz noted he is 100 per cent in support of the process.

He, however, insisted that the newly-constituted committee should not compromise on the already submitted report.

“I am 100 per cent with the governor on the white paper implementation. That should drive the prosecution of every single person that is found guilty. More than everything else of the thing that can be done for justice is prosecution of anyone that’s found guilty. Every single person that killed a soul must be charged for murder. This is a very serious issue here. Lives were lost. Protesters waving the Nigerian flag were shot.

“They shot ambulances that tried to help people and they came on television to tell us nothing happened. I still say it is very embarrassing.

“Apologies would not call back dead souls and fix the traumas. What I would say is that we are expecting the prosecution of every single soul. If you are a soldier or a military man, you should know your job is to protect the citizens then I see no reason why you should shoot directly at people.  They were waving the Nigerian flag and they were still shot, I still find it very hard to wrap my head around It,” he said.

Falz has also insisted that in any democratic society,  no one can stop protest. He added that Nigerian youths are getting prepared for the general election to vote out the government that allegedly killed and failed the youths.

“In any democratic society, you can t stop protest. They way people express themselves in different ways.  The youths will be participating in the forthcoming elections.  It is very important because it’s obvious that the government of the day has killed and failed us. In the coming election, I don’t think anyone will go to the polling booth and vote for the same people.

“Now that the governor has set up a four-man committee for the white paper, I just feel this is not the time for the ‘mago mago’, but so far they have done a fantastic job,” he said.

News

2023 Presidency: Igbos will kneel, prostrate, beg – Ezeife

Published

on

Former Governor of Anambra State Chukwuemeka Ezeife
Former Governor of Anambra State, Chukwuemeka Ezeife

A former Governor of Anambra State, Chukwuemeka Ezeife, has said that the South-East was ready to kneel, even prostrate and beg to get the opportunity to become Nigeria’s President come 2023.

Ezeife said this at the United for Better Nigeria Initiative National Convention in Abuja on Saturday.

The elder statesman said it was the right time for Ndigbo to produce the country’s next President.

He, however, pointed out that Presidency is not given to anyone, but people have to work and show that they really merit the position.

Ezeife noted that one of the ways to put a South Easterner in power come 2023 was for the region to swallow its pride and start begging every other region for the presidential seat.

“So I found Hausa, Yoruba, Igbo and other groups in this place talking about the need for federal character. If you do it that way, there will be unity; if there is fairness, equity, justice, you will have unity and progress,” he said.

“In the absence of those, you see where we are now. So it is not a matter of to give us President, we don’t give, you have to work for it, the Igbo does not prostrate.

“The Igbo man does not kneel down but this time, we are prepared to kneel down to every part of Nigeria, every group, every ethnic group in Nigeria, we are prepared to even prostrate because we believe in this country.”

Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: UK suspends visitor visa applications for Nigeria

Published

on

British Health Secretary Sajid Javid has tested positive for COVID 19
UK Health Secretary Sajid Javid says Nigeria has been added to the red list

The British High Commission says it will “pause making decisions” on visitor visa applications for Nigeria after the Omicron variant was announced by the west African country.

The decision was announced in a statement issued on Sunday by the commission, noting that, there is a different travel guidance for Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

The suspension of visitors visa for Nigeria comes barely 18 hours after the UK added Nigeria to its travel red list as a result of concerns over the Omicron COVID variant.

“To support the UK Government’s aim to protect public health from COVID-19 and associated variants of concern (VOC), UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI) will pause making decisions on visitor visa applications in all red list countries, including Nigeria, until travel restrictions are lifted,” the statement reads.

COVID-19 variant Omicron
World Health Organization called Omicron a “variant of concern”

“Visit visas cover travel to the UK for tourism, visiting family and friends, undertaking short-term business activities (for example, attending meetings), undertaking short-term studies (under 6 months), taking part in research or exchange programmes as an academic, medical reasons (for example, receiving private medical treatment).

“If you apply for a visit visa in a red list country and you meet the UK Immigration Rules, your application will be paused. You will not receive a decision on your visit visa application whilst red list travel restrictions remain in place.

“You will not be able to request a refund of your visa fee once you have given your biometrics at a Visa Application Centre (VAC). If you already hold a valid visit visa and are intending to travel to England as a visitor from a red list country, you will not be allowed to enter.

“Separate guidance is available for travellers entering Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. See https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control and https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-list-of-countries-and-territories.”

The commission also said visas or entry permits from red list countries will only be issued where there are compelling and compassionate circumstances.

“There are only very limited exemptions to travel and entry requirements for critical workers and medical and compassionate cases,” the statement reads.

“If you have submitted a visit visa application and you do not wish to withdraw, we will continue to hold your application.

“If you choose to continue with your visa application, you will not receive a decision on your visit visa whilst red list travel restrictions remain in place.”

Persons interested in applying on compassionate grounds can find more information on the process here.

Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: UK suspends visitor visa applications for Nigeria

Published

on

British Health Secretary Sajid Javid has tested positive for COVID 19
UK Health Secretary Sajid Javid says Nigeria has been added to the red list

The British High Commission says it will “pause making decisions” on visitor visa applications from all red list countries, including Nigeria.

The decision was announced in a statement issued on Sunday by the commission, noting that, there is a different travel guidance for Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

The suspension of visitors visa for Nigeria comes barely 18 hours after the UK added Nigeria to its travel red list as a result of concerns over the Omicron COVID variant.

“To support the UK Government’s aim to protect public health from COVID-19 and associated variants of concern (VOC), UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI) will pause making decisions on visitor visa applications in all red list countries, including Nigeria, until travel restrictions are lifted,” the statement reads.

“Visit visas cover travel to the UK for tourism, visiting family and friends, undertaking short-term business activities (for example, attending meetings), undertaking short-term studies (under 6 months), taking part in research or exchange programmes as an academic, medical reasons (for example, receiving private medical treatment).

“If you apply for a visit visa in a red list country and you meet the UK Immigration Rules, your application will be paused. You will not receive a decision on your visit visa application whilst red list travel restrictions remain in place.

“You will not be able to request a refund of your visa fee once you have given your biometrics at a Visa Application Centre (VAC). If you already hold a valid visit visa and are intending to travel to England as a visitor from a red list country, you will not be allowed to enter.

“Separate guidance is available for travellers entering Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. See https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control and https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-list-of-countries-and-territories.”

The commission also said visas or entry permits from red list countries will only be issued where there are compelling and compassionate circumstances.

“There are only very limited exemptions to travel and entry requirements for critical workers and medical and compassionate cases,” the statement reads.

“If you have submitted a visit visa application and you do not wish to withdraw, we will continue to hold your application.

“If you choose to continue with your visa application, you will not receive a decision on your visit visa whilst red list travel restrictions remain in place.”

Persons interested in applying on compassionate grounds can find more information on the process here.

Continue Reading

Trending

NgGossips.com