The Lagos State Police Command has arrested 12 suspects in connection with the murder of Police Officer Kazeem Abonde, a Chief Superintendent of Police.
The deceased CSP Abonde, a former Operations Officer of the Lagos Police Command, was killed on September 23 in a raid on a criminal hideout at Ajao Estate, Lagos.
In a statement issued on Tuesday by the ccmmand’s Spokesperson, CSP Adekunle Ajisebutu, said the suspects were arrested after a thorough investigation.
The statement read: “Arrest of a 23-year-old Ismaila Abdullahi Haruna and 11 other suspects had only happened after a four-week intensive investigation was carried out to make a result possible by the crack detective command.
“The suspects, who confessed to the crimes of conspiracy, murder, attempted murder, and willful damage was arrested in their criminal hideouts in Lagos but also apprehended in Nasarawa State where they were planning to run to evade the arrest after the immoral act.
“During interrogation, the suspects gave a blow-by-blow account of how the brutal attack on the deceased police officer and other injured police officers was carried out and the criminal roles each of them played to achieve the act.
“Their arrest was facilitated by credible, actionable intelligence.” the statement read.
However, Ajisebutu added that all the suspects will be charged at the Yaba Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday.
The parents of Ethan Crumbley, a teenager suspected of a deadly school shooting have been arrested in a Detroit basement hours after going on the run, police say.
James and Jennifer Crumbley were found unarmed hiding in a warehouse after a tip-off from someone who saw their car.
The couple had failed to show up in court on Friday after being charged with involuntary manslaughter.
They are accused of ignoring warning signs before their son’s alleged rampage.
Prosecutors say Ethan Crumbley, 15, used his father’s gun to shoot classmates in the nearby Michigan town of Oxford, killing four and wounding seven.
Detroit Police Chief James White told reporters that Ethan’s parents had been taken into custody without incident.
“They were very distressed as they were walking out,” he said.
He said they had been aided in getting into the building, which he said was used as an art studio, and that the person who helped them could face charges.
Earlier the US Marshals – a federal law enforcement service – had offered a $10,000 reward for information leading to their arrest.
The Crumbleys’ lawyer had earlier told the BBC that the couple had left town on the night of the shooting “for their own safety” and were not fleeing police.
But reports in the US say police knew the couple had withdrawn $4,000 (£3,000) from an ATM in Rochester Hills on the edge of Detroit and had turned off their mobile phones.
Ethan Crumbley is alleged to have opened fire on fellow students and teachers at his school in Oxford, about 35 miles (60 km) north of Detroit, on Tuesday.
The four killed were Tate Myre, 16, Madisyn Baldwin, 17, Hana St Juliana, 14, and Justin Shilling, 17.
Ethan Crumbley is being charged as an adult, and is facing one count of terrorism, four counts of first-degree murder, seven counts of assaults with intent to murder and 12 counts of possession of a firearm.
Why have the parents been charged?
On Friday, Oakland County lead prosecutor Karen McDonald acknowledged that charging parents in a child’s alleged crime was highly unusual.
According to her office’s investigation, the boy was with his father last Friday when Mr Crumbley bought the firearm believed to have been used in the shooting.
A post on the boy’s social media later that day showed off his dad’s new weapon as “my new beauty”, adding a heart emoji.
Just one day before the shooting, a teacher said she saw the boy searching online for ammunition, which prompted a meeting with school officials, Ms McDonald said. After being informed of the incident, Mrs Crumbley texted her son: “LOL I’m not mad at you. You have to learn not to get caught.”
And on Tuesday morning – hours before the rampage – Mr and Mrs Crumbley were called into the school for an urgent meeting after teachers found a note by their son, including several drawings of guns and bloodied people alongside captions like “the thoughts won’t stop. Help me”, and “blood everywhere”. The boy had also written “My life is useless” and “The world is dead”, according to the prosecutor.
School officials told the pair they would have to seek counselling for their son.
But the boy’s parents did not want him to be removed from school that day, Ms McDonald said, and did not ask him whether he had the gun with him, or search his backpack.
At 13:22 later that day, Mrs Crumbley texted her son to say: “Ethan, don’t do it.” Minutes later her husband called police to report his gun was missing, said the prosecutor.
But authorities say the boy had already emerged from the school bathroom and opened fire on fellow students.
Ms McDonald said the charges were meant to hold the Crumbleys accountable and to send a message about responsible gun ownership.
“The notion that a parent could read those words and also know that their son had access to a deadly weapon that they gave him is unconscionable, and it’s criminal,” she said.
The prosecutor had previously noted that, although the gun had been purchased legally, it “seems to have just been freely available” for the child’s use. According to her, the suspect took the gun from an unlocked drawer in his parents’ bedroom and brought it to school.
Neither federal nor state law requires gun owners to keep their weapons locked away from their children.
In a video message posted to YouTube on Thursday, the school’s superintendent Tim Throne said that – while the boy and his parents had been called to the office – “no discipline was warranted” at the time.
He added that the school looked like a “war zone” and would not be ready to operate again for weeks.
Ms McDonald alleged on Friday that, when James Crumbley heard about the shooting, he “drove straight to his home to look for his gun” before calling authorities to say he suspected his son was the perpetrator.
“I’m angry as a mother. I’m angry as a prosecutor. I’m angry as a person that lives in this county,” she said. “There were a lot of things that could have been so simple to prevent.”
On Wednesday, prosecutors charged the boy as an adult. He now face charges of terrorism and first-degree murder.
Announcing the charges, Ms McDonald said her office had “a mountain of digital evidence” to show the suspect had planned the attack “well before the incident”.
Personal Assistant on Digital and New Media to President Muhammadu Buhari, Bashir Ahmad, on Saturday, took to his verified Facebook page, to subtly debunk rumours that the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Sadiya Umar Farouq has secretly travelled to the United States of America for childbirth.
POLITICS NIGERIA recalls that the minister is believed to be married to the former Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar, a union a section of the media reported was made official in September 2020.
The quiet wedding was said to have taken place at the Maitama Juma’a Mosque in Abuja.
Farouq, who was appointed by President Buhari in July 2019, is the youngest minister in the president’s cabinet.
“The Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Hajiya Sadiya Umar Farouq, photo taken this morning at the Nigerian Trade and Investment Forum taking place in Dubai,” Ahmad wrote.