Connect with us

Sports

Medvedev edges Zverev in ATP Finals thriller

Published

on

Russias Daniil Medvedev after his win over Alexander Zverev

Reigning champion Daniil Medvedev moved to the brink of the last four at the ATP Finals on Tuesday by edging out Alexander Zverev 6-3, 6-7 (3-7), 7-6 (8-6) in a dramatic match in Turin.

Russian second seed Medvedev missed two match points in a gripping deciding-set tie-break before getting over the line at the third time of asking.

“Definitely one of the matches to remember,” said the US Open winner, who beat Poland’s Hubert Hurkacz in his opening group encounter.

Medvedev now leads Zverev 6-5 in their head-to-head, having also beaten him in the round-robin stage last year.

“Sometimes that’s how tennis is,” he added. “You just try to do your best. Sometimes luck is on your side, sometimes not.”

Medvedev is not guaranteed a semi-final place yet, though, as defeat by alternate Jannik Sinner in his final group match would leave him level with the young Italian and Zverev, should the German see off Hurkacz.

Sinner replaced fellow home hope Matteo Berrettini in the draw and made an immediate impact by thrashing Hurkacz 6-2, 6-2.

Wimbledon runner-up Berrettini withdrew due to the abdominal injury which forced him to retire from his first match against Zverev early in the second set.

In front of a large crowd at the Pala Alpitour arena on Tuesday, Medvedev edged the first set thanks to a break in Zverev’s opening service game and also saved three break points himself.

World number three Zverev appeared angered by a line call late in that set, before channelling his energy to take the second in a tie-break and level the match.

Medvedev saved a break point in the 11th game of the deciding set to help force another breaker, in which he battled back from 4-2 down to lead 6-4.

He saw two match points come and go but finally clinched a vital win after more than two-and-a-half hours on court.

“That was a match to remember, just amazing,” conceded Zverev.

– ‘Devastated’ Berrettini pulls out –

423e9303 photo1 610

A devastated Matteo Berrettini was forced to withdraw from the event with injury

The 20-year-old Sinner made his ATP Finals debut against Hurkacz after Berrettini pulled out of the season-ending event, being staged in Italy for the first time after moving from London.

“I thought, cried, and finally decided,” Berrettini said in a post on social media.

“My Finals end here. I am devastated. I never thought I would have to give up the most important tennis event ever held in Italy in this way.”

Sinner made the most of his opportunity with a brilliant display against Hurkacz.

The world number 11 broke his opponent twice in the opening five games of the match and never looked back, smashing five aces and 17 winners to wrap up victory in under an hour-and-a-half.

Read Also: WCQ: Ekambi takes Cameroon to play-offs at expense of Ivory Coast

“I knew around 5:00 pm local time (1600 GMT) that I would play,” Sinner said. “I was ready to go on court.

“It is an incredible feeling playing here in Italy with thousands of people cheering for you and I am trying my best. I will enjoy the moment.”

Novak Djokovic leads the Green Group after beginning his attempt to equal Roger Federer’s record number of ATP Finals triumphs with a straight-sets win over Casper Ruud on Monday.

Russian Andrey Rublev also impressed with a 6-4, 6-4 victory over 2019 champion Stefanos Tsitsipas and sits behind Djokovic in the standings by virtue of winning one game fewer than the 20-time Grand Slam champion.

Sports

Germany legend Matthaus defends Dortmund midfielder Bellingham

Published

on

Bellingham

Germany World Cup winner Lothar Matthaus has defended Jude Bellingham.

The Borussia Dortmund midfielder has been fined by the German Federation after referencing ref Felix Zwayer’s past match fixing ban following defeat to Bayern Munich last weekend.

Matthaus said: “His words were inappropriate and he would probably never say them again today, but I can understand his frustration and anger after the game ends.

read also:Real Madrid captain Marcelo makes exit call

“Something similar happened to me in Karlsruhe too.

“The adrenaline and the emotions you feel after losing such an important match due to a controversial decision are difficult to control, even if you don’t have to overdo it.”

if (document.getElementById(id)) return; js = document.createElement('script'); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&appId=474481306711139&version=v2.0"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);

window.fbAsyncInit = function () { FB.init({ appId: '474481306711139', xfbml: true, version: 'v2.0' }); FB.Event.subscribe('comment.create', function (comment_data) { console.log(comment_data); update_comments_count(); }); FB.Event.subscribe('comment.remove', function (comment_data) { update_comments_count(); });

function update_comments_count(comment_data, comment_action) { jQuery.ajax({ type: 'GET', dataType: 'json', url: 'https://sportinglife.ng/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php', data: { action: 'clear_better_facebook_comments', post_id: '1000208' }, success: function (data) { // todo sync comments count here! data have the counts }, error: function (i, b) { // todo } } ) }; };

appendFbScript(); }

appendFbScript();

})();

Continue Reading

Sports

Real Madrid captain Marcelo makes exit call

Published

on

Macelo

Real Madrid captain, Marcelo is ready to return home to Brazil in 2022.

Ole says after 13 years with Real, the Brazilian will leave when his contract ends next June and everything indicates that he will not renew and will return to his country, specifically to Fluminense, his formative club.

read also:Everton plan to appoint two new directors

Marcelo has already made the decision, though is willing to see out his current contract, rather than leave in January.

The wing-back has struggled for minutes this season.

 

if (document.getElementById(id)) return; js = document.createElement('script'); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&appId=474481306711139&version=v2.0"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);

window.fbAsyncInit = function () { FB.init({ appId: '474481306711139', xfbml: true, version: 'v2.0' }); FB.Event.subscribe('comment.create', function (comment_data) { console.log(comment_data); update_comments_count(); }); FB.Event.subscribe('comment.remove', function (comment_data) { update_comments_count(); });

function update_comments_count(comment_data, comment_action) { jQuery.ajax({ type: 'GET', dataType: 'json', url: 'https://sportinglife.ng/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php', data: { action: 'clear_better_facebook_comments', post_id: '1000199' }, success: function (data) { // todo sync comments count here! data have the counts }, error: function (i, b) { // todo } } ) }; };

appendFbScript(); }

appendFbScript();

})();

Continue Reading

Sports

Everton plan to appoint two new directors

Published

on

Everton

Everton are ready to welcome two new directors.Everton are ready to welcome two new directors.Everton are ready to welcome two new directors.

Everton are ready to welcome two new directors.

The Liverpool Echo says Everton are planning to find two new board members following the departures of Marcel Brands and Sarvar Ismailov.

And further additions to the Goodison top table have not been ruled out.

read also:Adegbenro named best striker in Sweden

Ismailov’s decision to quit his role last month, and last night’s confirmation of Brands’ exit, have left only three board of directors.

Chairman Bill Kenwright, chief executive officer Denise Barrett-Baxendale and finance chief Grant Ingles are the only board members left.

But the club are fully intending to replace them and the arrival of further fresh faces has been discussed.

 

 

Continue Reading

Trending

NgGossips.com