Connect with us

Nation

Nasal vaccine for Alzheimer’s to be tested on people

Published

on

Nasal vaccine for Alzheimers to be tested on people

 

 

A Boston hospital will conduct human trials to test the safety and efficacy of a vaccine to counter Alzheimer’s disease next month.

It will mark the first clinical trial of a nasal vaccine for the dementia-causing disorder.

In a statement on Tuesday; the city’s Brigham and Women’s Hospital said the initial phase-one trial will involve 16 patients between the ages of 60 and 85 who exhibit early symptoms of Alzheimer’s but are otherwise healthy.

 

The participants will be given two doses of the vaccine a week apart.

 

They will receive varying doses over six months, starting in early December; with researchers doing blood testing to determine the appropriate dosage, Dr. Howard Weiner told the Boston Globe newspaper.

 

He called the trial a “remarkable milestone” that follows 20 years of research.

 

If clinical trials in humans show that the vaccine is safe and effective, this could represent a nontoxic treatment for people with Alzheimer’s, and it could also be given early to help prevent Alzheimer’s in people at risk.

 

According to the hospital’s statement, the vaccine uses Protollin, a substance that activates the body’s immune system by signaling white blood cells in nearby lymph nodes to travel to the brain and clear out the disease’s “hallmark” beta-amyloid plaques.

ALSO READ: Blood oxygen levels: Why memory loss is early symptom in Alzheimer’s

Although the hospital noted that Protollin has been found to be safe in other vaccines; the researchers will have to observe how it impacts the patients’ immune response and its effects on white blood cells.

 

This will partly “determine the safety and tolerability of the nasal vaccine” in the trial.

 

Following the six-month period; there will be a trial of 150 patients who will be “treated for years” with the aim of getting a dose every month for the first year, Dr. Weiner told Fox News.

 

According to several calculations, less than 10% of drugs entering initial trials go on to win regulatory approval.

 

Problems can arise even after the approval process – as was seen earlier this year; when independent advisers raised concerns over the side effects of ‘Aduhelm’, an FDA-approved drug for Alzheimer’s.

Nation

UK: OSCE Ministerial Council 2021: UK national statement

Published

on

truss osce

Thank you Foreign Minister Linde, Excellencies, friends, I am very pleased to be joining you here today. Thank you, Ann, for your leadership this year. We are looking forward as well to Zbigniew’s Chairmanship.

Nearly half a century ago our predecessors gathered in Helsinki to sign the Final Act. And we made a collective pledge to peace, security and justice.

We agreed a core set of principles – renouncing the use of force, respect for sovereignty and territorial integrity, and protecting human rights and freedoms. These values are universal and they apply to all our populations and all of our societies. And they remain at the heart of the OSCE – and they have the UK’s full support.

What we need to see is all countries respecting these commitments. Yet some are taking an à la carte approach. We see ongoing conflicts impacting regional stability, and devastating the lives of civilians. And we have seen freedom and democracy under attack.

What we see most of all is a lack of political will to follow through on these principles.

We fully support Ukraine’s sovereignty and territorial integrity. Russia’s lack of transparency over its military build-up heightens tensions in the region and degrades trust. This threatening behaviour is unacceptable.

I want to be very clear: any action by Russia to undermine freedom and democracy in Ukraine – or elsewhere in the region – would be a strategic mistake. I call on Russia to use the OSCE tools to build trust and live up to commitments on transparency.

Moreover, the OSCE’s Special Monitoring Mission, and international humanitarian monitoring missions, need full, safe and unimpeded access throughout Ukraine, including in Crimea.

We are also deeply concerned by rising tensions in the Balkans. There has been hard-won peace in the Western Balkans and it must not be lost or threatened.

The UK is stepping up its political engagement. Today we appointed Sir Stuart Peach as Special Envoy for the Western Balkans, and we are working with the High Representative and colleagues including the United States and the EU.

Attempts to destabilise peace and stability of the Western Balkans are unacceptable and we call on everyone to respect freedom and democracy in the region.

The reality is, in other areas, civilians’ lives need to be protected and regional stability preserved.

In Georgia, in Moldova, we continue to have human rights concerns. In both of these cases, we support the OSCE’s efforts towards conflict prevention, resolution and reconciliation.

In Afghanistan, we need to work together to stop the country becoming a hotbed of terrorism and falling into humanitarian disrepair.

We also need to push back on attacks on human rights and democracy in Belarus, in particular the weaponisation of migration. The Belarussian people continue to suffer, and we want to see a true national dialogue, through the OSCE, to resolve the crisis.

Elections are a key part of the OSCE’s work, and we support an impartial, facts-based approach to the OSCE in observing elections.

A thriving civil society makes all of us safer and more secure. Ultimately, we want a world where freedom and democracy don’t just survive – they thrive. To achieve that and support the region’s safety and security, we have to stick to our commitments.

The values and principles enshrined in the Helsinki Final Act and subsequent OSCE agreements provide a roadmap for a safe, secure environment for all our citizens. And I hope all of the participating States here today will have the confidence and the political will to uphold them.

Continue Reading

Nation

Baldwin On If He Feels Guilt For Killing Halyna Hutchins: ‘No,’ ‘Someone Is Responsible … It’s Not Me’

Published

on

Alec Baldwin scaled

Actor Alec Baldwin said during an ABC News interview on Thursday night that he does not feel guilt over the shooting death of Halyna Hutchins, claiming that someone else is responsible for what happened.

“Do you feel guilt?” ABC News host George Stephanopoulos asked Baldwin during an exclusive interview.

“No. No,” Baldwin said. “I feel that there is, I feel that someone is responsible for what happened and I can’t say who that is, but I know it’s not me.”

“I might have killed myself if I thought I was responsible, and I don’t say that lightly,” he added.

WATCH:

ABC News reports:

On Oct. 21, Baldwin was holding an antique revolver during a dress rehearsal for the Western at the Bonanza Creek Ranch near Santa Fe, New Mexico, when it discharged, killing the film’s cinematographer, Halyna Hutchins, and wounding its director, Joel Souza.

Halyna Hutchins “was someone who was loved by everyone who worked with and liked by everyone who worked with and admired,” Baldwin said. “And even now, I find it hard to believe that, it just doesn’t seem, it doesn’t seem real to me.”

When pressed by ABC News’ George Stephanopoulos about how “it wasn’t in the script for the trigger to be pulled,” Baldwin responded by claiming, “Well, the trigger wasn’t pulled. I didn’t pull the trigger.”

“I cock the gun. I go, ‘Can you see that? Can you see that? Can you see that?’” Baldwin said. “And then I let go of the hammer of the gun, and the gun goes off. I let go of the hammer of the gun, the gun goes off.”

“So you never pulled the trigger?” Stephanopoulos pressed.

“No, no, no, no,” Baldwin claimed. “I would never point a gun at anyone and pull the trigger at them. Never.”

WATCH:

The Reload, a Second Amendment publication, analyzed Baldwin’s claims:

At first glance, this sounds far-fetched. It is exceedingly rare for a gun to fire without the trigger being depressed. Modern firearms, even replicas of antique guns, have safeties specifically designed to prevent them from firing without the trigger being pulled. It only really happens when the gun’s firing mechanism is damaged, or there is a significant design flaw. That’s why most gun owners and firearms safety trainers are highly skeptical of any claim a gun just “went off” absent user error.

In Baldwin’s case, though, the claim is at least somewhat more believable. That’s because the gun involved is more prone to firing without the trigger being pulled. And, even though it’s a modern replica of an antique design, it’s possible it did not include modern safety devices.

Santa Fe County Sheriff Adan Mendoza identified the gun used in the shooting as a modern Pietta replica of a single-action army revolver. Those guns can be bought either with a transfer bar that makes it impossible for the firing pin to strike the primer unless the trigger is pulled or without one. Often, enthusiasts and collectors prefer the models without modern safety devices because it’s more authentic and perfectly safe when handled properly.

A single-action revolver usually requires the hammer to be manually cocked, and the trigger be pulled for a shot to be fired. That’s why it’s referred to as a single-action: because the trigger performs just one action. It drops the hammer. In a double-action revolver, on the other hand, the trigger can both cock and release the hammer.

However, a single-action revolver with the old-style firing mechanism can fire without either the hammer being cocked or the trigger being pulled. When the hammer is down on that kind of revolver, the firing pin protrudes and, if a live round is loaded in the chamber underneath, a sharp enough jolt can cause the pin to strike the round’s primer with enough force to set it off.

This article has been expanded after publication to include additional information.

The Daily Wire is one of America’s fastest-growing conservative media companies and counter-cultural outlets for news, opinion, and entertainment. Get inside access to The Daily Wire by becoming a member.

Continue Reading

Nation

5G: GLO, 9Mobile Missing As MTN, Two Others Selected For 3.5GHZ Spectrum Auction– NCC

Published

on

Telecos 1

The Nigerian Communications Commission has said that only three bidders are qualified for its forthcoming 3.5 gigahertz spectrum auction for the deployment of Fifth generation (5G) networks.

NCC said on Thursday that only MTN Nigeria PLC, Mafab Communications Limited and Airtel Networks Limited met the regulatory requirement among the investors who showed interest.

Leading telecom companies like Globacom Limited and 9Mobile were not part of the bidders selected by the NCC.

NCC said MTN, Mafab and Airtel have also stipulated Intention to Bid Deposit (IBD) as outlined in the Information Memorandum.

The Commission said, “Consistent with its regulatory principle of open and transparent auction, the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has announced that three telecoms companies have qualified as approved bidders of the forthcoming 3.5 gigahertz (Ghz) spectrum auction for the deployment of Fifth generation (5G) networks in the country.

“The qualified bidders that have met the criteria for participation in the licensing process of 3.5Ghz spectrum, including payment of the stipulated Intention to Bid Deposit (IBD) as outlined in the Information Memorandum (IM), are include MTN Nigeria Plc., Mafab Communications Limited and Airtel Networks Limited.

“Consequently, the stage is now set for the three companies to participate in the Main Auction as well as in the mandatory Mock Auction process, which will come as a precursor to the Main Auction.”

Prior to the selection of the three successful bidders, some of the requirements listed by the commission is that bidders must not have a relationship with another Bidder.

It defined a relationship as a situation where a Bidder has a direct or indirect ownership stake of 10 per cent or more in another bidder.

Applicants must transfer an Intention-to-Bid Deposit (IBD) for the amount described into the designated account in cleared funds.

“This deposit will bind the applicant to take up a Licence, should it be a Successful Bidder, at the Reserve Price or any higher bid value submitted during the process.

“Licenced Operators participating in the process must be in good regulatory standing with the commission.”

The Commission while announcing the development reaffirmed the dates for the conduct of both the Mock Auction and the Main Auction.

“The Mock Auction is scheduled to hold on Friday, December 10, 2021 at Transcorp Hilton Hotel, Abuja by 11:00 a.m., while the Main Auction will hold on Monday, December 13, 2021 at the same venue and same time,” said NCC.

Continue Reading

Trending

NgGossips.com