Connect with us

National

Suicide Bombing: Ugandan officials confirm six dead

Published

on

75554BB6 208C 40C4 9683 E93DAA3CAFF9

No fewer than six people were killed and 36 others injured in twin suicide bombings on Tuesday in the Ugandan capital, officials have confirmed on Wednesday.

The blasts occurred near a police station and on a street near the parliament building. The area has been cordoned off following the bombings.

President Yoweri Museveni issued a statement hours later, assuring the public that security agencies would handle renewed threats.

Mr Museveni said the blasts were carried out by two suicide bombers and the third suspected bomber had been arrested.

He blamed the attacks on a sleeper cell of the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF), an affiliate of the Islamic State in central Africa.

“We are working with the neighbors to deal with those operating from outside. They have exposed themselves when we are more ready for urban terrorism. They will perish.’’

According to the police, the attackers belong to the same cell as those who launched attacks in October.

Fred Enanga, the police spokesperson, said the war on terror can only be won by joint actions between security agencies and the public.

Mr Enanga, called for public vigilance as bomb threats remain said “we have managed to counter several bomb threats, and neutralised several suspicious packages and device-related incidents across the nation.’’

The twin suicide bombings have aroused worldwide condemnation. United Nations (UN) Secretary General Antonio Guterres described the attacks as despicable, noting that the perpetrators must be swiftly brought to justice.

Moussa Faki Mahamat, chairperson of the African Union Commission, said that the continental body stands with Uganda and condemned the bombings in the strongest terms. 

(dpa/NAN)

National

Brothers docked for beating police superintendent

Published

on

Hakeem Odumosu

Two brothers, Claire Alaga and Vincent Alaga, appeared before an Ojo Magistrates’ Court in Lagos State on Wednesday.

They are accused of alleged assault on an Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP).

The defendants were arraigned before Magistrate Ademola Adesanya on a four-count charge of conspiracy, assault, breach of peace and resisting arrest.

They, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge.

The prosecutor, Simeon Uche, told the court that the defendants committed the offence on December 1, at ABS Bus Stop on Isashi Road in Ojo.

According to the prosecution, the defendants resisted arrest by a police officer, Adeniyi Clement.

He told the court that the defendants also slapped the police officer and injured him on the left hand in a bid to resist arrest.

The alleged offence contravenes the provisions of Sections 168, 117, 172 and 411 of the Criminal Laws of Lagos State, 2015.

The court granted the defendants bail in the sum of N50,000 each, with two sureties each in like sum.

He adjourned the case until February 11, 2022. 

Continue Reading

National

Wakanow evolves business model, now offers protection services to South-East travellers

Published

on

6299E329 2509 45B8 A9AD 5DA91FE11DA8

Renowned travel Agency Wakanow has added a new tactic to its travel menu, offering protection services to South-East travellers in its new package.

In a flyer advert seen by Peoples Gazette on Tuesday, the travel agency named the new plan Home Coming to the East. The new plan is expected to motivate South-East travellers of the habit of visiting their hometown to embark on their customary trip despite security worries.

Priced N320,000 for trips from Lagos to any southeastern state, the package is expected to cater for the safe commuting and welfare of passengers and details attached to the trip.

The organisation said the fee will cover transportation in a Toyota Hilux vehicle, two police escorts and a driver.

The travel agency also revealed that those travelling within the South-East region could get access to the special service at a reduced cost of  “N260,000 per day”.

Confirming the development to The Gazette via the organisation’s official WhatsApp page, a customer care representative  who corroborated the travel rate on the flyer said “if you want a one way, then it is NGN 320,000, if it is a round trip then it is NGN640,000.”

“If you require the service within the East, the fee is NGN 260,000 per day,” the care rep added.

Wakanow’s new strategy comes amidst the expected influx of Igbos to their country homes this Yuletide. The parlous security situation of the region remains dreaded for multitudes of indigenes  who traditionally return home from abroad for end-of-year festivities.  

In May, Inspector General of Police Usman Baba to launched Operation Restore Peace in the region as strategy to quell incessant attacks on the police and other government establishments by unknown gunmen.

However, the in security in the region did not abate, even threatening the conduct of Anambra governorship election which eventually held after back channel negotiations with separatists.

Though attacks on government facilities have largely quietened since the conduct of the November 6 election, cases of violence and fatal confrontation continue to occur between gunmen and security operatives.

Continue Reading

National

Benin Republic grants Nigerian company 30,000 hectares for rice production

Published

on

CAF59C2D C947 4CF7 9251 07A13FFADCC4

Benin Republic Government has granted 30,000 hectares of land to a Nigerian company, Labana Rice Mills, for the cultivation of rice in that country.

The general manager of the company, Abdullahi Idris-Zuru, disclosed in a statement on Wednesday.

He said the company would, in 2022, finance farmers in the country through the Benin Republic government, to produce 20,000 metric tonnes of paddy rice during the dry season. 

“A total of 30,000 hectares of farmland are being made available in the Benin Republic to Labana Rice Mills for the cultivation of rice.

“These resolutions were made during a joint meeting of Beninous Government officials with Labana Rice Mills delegation to Cotonou, the country’s capital, last weekend.

“The meeting with the Labana delegation led by the chairman, Abubakar Abbah-Adamu, was chaired by the Benin Minister of Agriculture, Gaston Dossouhoui,” Mr Idris-Zuru said.

He said that the Beninouis government granted the farmland after an assessment of the company’s rice mills and farms in Kebbi, Nigeria.

“The report has convinced the government of Labana Rice Mills’ capacity to be a reliable partner in agriculture,” the general manager added.

He said that the chairman of the company expressed his gratitude for the trust and confidence the Benin government had in Labana rice mills and the government and people of Nigeria.

Continue Reading

Trending

NgGossips.com