Connect with us

National

Another 330 stranded Nigerians evacuated from Libya

Published

on

Screenshot 20211125 072656 Chrome

In collaboration with the federal government, the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) has evacuated another 330 stranded Nigerians in Libya.

The Charge d’ Affairs of the Nigerian Mission in Libya, Kabiru Musa, disclosed this in a statement on Wednesday in Abuja.

According to Mr Musa, the 330 evacuees from Tripoli and Libya are expected to arrive at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos, on Wednesday night in separate flights.

He disclosed that almost 1,000 stranded Nigerians had been evacuated from Libya in November alone, reiterating the Nigerian government’s commitment not to leave any stranded Nigerian behind in Libya.

“Following successful evacuation exercises and the high number of stranded Nigerians in Libya, the IOM in collaboration with the embassy of Nigeria in Tripoli airlifted 158 Nigerians from Benghazi and 172 others from Tripoli on Wednesday,” he explained. “The Benghazi chartered flight no. UZ389 departed Benghazi airport at 15.00 hours local time and is expected to arrive Murtala Mohammed international airport, Lagos at 22.00 hours.”

He added that on the other hand, the Tripoli chartered flight number UZ0190 left Mitiga international airport at 18.00 local time and was expected to arrive at the Lagos international airport at 23.30 hours.

“A total number of 330 Nigerians were evacuated, including men, women and children. Some of the returnees were in Libya’s detention centres for immigration offences while others were either rescued victims of human trafficking or irregular migrants on voluntary return,” stated Mr Musa. “The exercises were carried out successfully in full compliance with COVID-19 protocol. All the returnees are expected to spend few days at IOM’s provided facilities before their reintegration into the society.”

Mr Musa also assured that the exercise would be ongoing until Nigerians who stand in need while in Libya are supported to reunite with their families at home.

(NAN)

GET IT NOW

National

Zamfara community storms govt house over persistent attacks despite paying over N200 million ransom

Published

on

Matawalle and Bandits

Members of Nahuche community in Zamfara on Sunday besieged the Government House, Gusau, to seek Governor Bello Matawalle’s intervention in the release of 13 members of the community recently abducted by bandits.

Leader of the protesters, Musa Abdullahi, who addressed journalists, said they were at the Government House to solicit for the government’s intervention to rescue the  abductees.

Mr Abdullahi said the community had suffered more than 13 attacks, lost more than 50 persons and have so far, spent over N200 million in the last two years as ransom and for settling Vigilante groups, but all to no avail.

“The situation has remained the same, despite spending over N200 million on ransoms and settling vigilantes,” he said.

Mr Abdullahi, a former chairman of the Bungudu local council, said five of the abductees had been held by the bandits for the past 33 days.

According to him, the sum of  five million naira ransom was paid as demanded by the bandits  but they declined to release the victims as they made fresh demands for two Boxer Motorcycles, which were yet to be met.

“While working to meet the fresh demand of the motorcycles, the  bandits, again, stormed the community and kidnapped another eight persons.

“They are yet to communicate or make another demand from the community; we are waiting,” he said.

The former chairman said the community of over 300,000 people was about to be deserted as the gunmen attacked the village frequently killing people at will.

“We have acknowledged the efforts of both State and Federal Government in tackling the security challenges, however,  Nahuche community needs urgent intervention to prevent the town from being deserted,” he said.

He urged the federal and the state governments to deploy the  military to the area to help their situation, before the bandits cleared their villages.

(NAN)

GET IT NOW

Continue Reading

National

Buhari should use necessary means to crush bandits, says Tinubu

Published

on

Bola Tinubu and President Muhammadu Buhari

Former Lagos governor and presidential aspirant, Bola Tinubu, has called on President Muhammadu Buhari and the Nigerian military to adopt necessary measures in eliminating bandits.

“I urge the Federal Government, under the able leadership of President Muhammad Buhari as the Commander Chief of the Armed Forces, to use all necessary means to eliminate these people,” Mr Tinubu said on Sunday in Katsina.

Mr Tinubu was on a condolence shuttle to Governor Aminu Masari over the death of Commissioner for Science and Technology, Rabe Nasir, who was assassinated eight weeks ago.

The APC chieftain, who is aspiring to become Nigeria’s president in 2023, has revved up visitations to politicians in the name of sympathy. He has of recent been to Zamfara and Oyo States to condolences.

Mr Tinubu, in Katsina, said Nigeria will win the ongoing war against banditry, and other security challenges facing the country.

According to him, the country is larger and greater than “those criminals,” therefore, the Federal Government should adopt all the necessary measures to eliminate them.

“It is also a very trying period for Katsina State, as it is going through a lot of security challenges. Please, whatever happens to one of us, happens to all of us.

“Let us be vigilant to help our country, let us preach peace and a change of mind to those who are determined to bring terrorism, kidnapping and evil doings to our midst.

“We share and we will continue to pray with the Katsina Government and also the people of the state to conquer the evil of kidnapping and the killing of innocent people,“ Tinubu.

In his response, Gov. Masari noted that the current security challenges in the state started with cattle rustling, which he described as “community banditry“.

He said the bandits lived within the community and were not invading from the forest.

(NAN)

GET IT NOW

Continue Reading

National

Lagos to close Babajide Sanwo-Olu Road for repairs; announces traffic diversions

Published

on

Dopemu Road

The Lagos State Government announced on Sunday that it will divert traffic on Dopemu Road in the Agege area of the state for three month.

The Commissioner for Transportation, Frederic Oladeinde, said the diversion starts from 10:00 p.m. on Friday, January 21.

Mr Oladeinde said the closure was to carry out rehabilitation and upgrade on the Babajide Sanwo-Olu Road.

He explained that the repair works would be executed in three phases, adding that the first phase of the project would focus on the Ipaja road up to the Adealu Street junction, which would last three months.

According to him, alternative routes had been mapped out by the State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA) to ensure an effective control of vehicular movements along the axis, during the duration of the repairs.

The commissioner advised motorists inbound Dopemu Bridge from the Iyana Ipaja/Alagba axis to go through Ipaja Road, to connect Oyewole Street into Seriki Street.

He said the movement would link them to Kolawole and Adebambo Streets, to access Adealu Road, to their desired destination.

“In the same vein, motorists heading toward Dopemu Bridge from Ipaja (Oke Koto) are to utilise Markaz Road to connect Awori Street and link Sarumi Alawo Street/Oniwaya and Surulere.

“With this, they will continue their journey or alternately, go through Alfa Nla from Old Ipaja Road, to connect Oniwaya/Surulere axis to reach the Dopemu Bridge.

“The alternative routes are in motorable conditions and will not pose any difficulty to motorists. We are also assuring  that the LASTMA personnel will be at the diversion routes for efficient traffic management.

“I must commend Lagosians for their perseverance through the myriad of constructions going on across the state,” Oladeinde said.

Mr Oladeinde, however, called for support from the residents, while  assuring them that their sacrifice  would yield the desired outcome for the state’s multi-modal transportation system.

(NAN)

GET IT NOW

Continue Reading

Trending

NgGossips.com