Connect with us

Sports

Bundesliga: Dortmund defend Bellingham amid possible sanctions

Published

on

Jude Bellingham 211204 screams G 1050

Borussia Dortmund said on Sunday they would stand by England midfielder Jude Bellingham, who faces potential sanctions and even legal consequences after he made explosive comments about the referee after his side’s 3-2 defeat to Bayern Munich on Saturday.

“The boy is 18 years old and was speaking after a heated and emotional game. We will stand by him,” Dortmund sporting director Michael Zorc told AFP-subsidiary SID.

Bellingham risks being punished by the German Football Federation (DFB) after claiming costly decisions by referee Felix Zwayer were to be expected given he was implicated in the worst match-fixing scandal in German history.

The 18-year-old England international was furious that Zwayer had not awarded a penalty to his side in the second-half, before giving one to Bayern which allowed Robert Lewandowski to score the winner in the top of the table clash.

“You can look at a lot of the decisions in the game. If you give a referee who has match-fixed before the biggest game in Germany, what do you expect?” Bellingham told Norwegian channel Viaplay.

He was referring to Zwayer’s alleged role as a 23-year-old linesman in the scandal involving referee Robert Hoyzer.

The latter confessed to taking Croatian mafia money in return for affecting the outcome of German Cup and lower division matches including awarding penalties for fictitious offences.

Hoyzer was jailed and Zwayer suspended for six months for keeping silent though he knew what the referee was doing and for accepting 300 euros ($340).

No definitive link between the match-fixing and Zwayer has ever been established and he has always said he was innocent.

POSSIBLE SANCTIONS

The DFB told AFP-subsidiary SID they would be reviewing whether Bellingham’s comments were “relevant from a sport sanctions perspective”.

Bild tabloid also reported Sunday that one of the DFB’s official observers had pressed libel charges against Bellingham, but Dortmund insisted that they saw no reason to fear legal consequences.

“I don’t see anything problematic from a legal perspective,” Zorc told SID.

“What he said isn’t wrong, even if he didn’t have to say it. You have to put it down to the emotions of an 18-year-old. Jude didn’t insult anyone, he stated a fact. I can’t imagine there will be any penalties for that,” Dortmund CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke told Kicker magazine.

Bellingham could face a heavy punishment if the DFB do decide to impose sanctions, as the federation has previously taken a dim view of referees being subjected to what they see as defamatory statements or accusations they judge offensive.

The England midfielder also faced criticism for his comments, which Bayern CEO Oliver Kahn said were “a step too far”.

May be an image of 4 people, people playing sports and text

Read Also: EPL: Fred gives Rangnick reign at Man Utd lift off

“I can’t ever remember a player making a comment of that kind before,” Kahn told Sky on Saturday.

Bellingham was not alone in questioning Zwayer’s decisions in a heated game on Saturday evening.

Dortmund coach Marco Rose was shown a red card after arguing with Zwayer over his awarding of the penalty 12 minutes from time.

“His performance wasn’t good enough for a game of this level, he was overwhelmed. It was a great game, which was decided by the referee,” Zorc told SID.

GET IT NOW

Sports

AFCON: Burkina Faso subdues Gabon on penalties to book q-finals ticket

Published

on

B faso and Gabon

Burkina Faso beat 10-man Gabon on penalties to reach the quarter-finals at the Africa Cup of Nations in Cameroon following a 1-1 draw.

Ismahila Ouedraogo netted to give the Stallions a 7-6 win in the shoot-out.

Gabon had Sidney Obissa sent off midway through the second half but grabbed an injury-time equaliser when Bruno Ecuele Manga’s header went in off Adama Guira.

Burkina Faso captain Bertrand Traore had missed a penalty before slotting in the opener in the 28th minute.

The Stallions will face either Nigeria or Tunisia, who meet on Sunday even, in the quarter-finals on Saturday, 29 January.

read also:AFCON: Ex-Man Utd skipper backs Nigeria against Tunisia

A mammoth shoot-out had seen Herve Koffi save from Gabon midfielder Guelor Kanga and Saidou Simpore immediately send his his effort over the bar in the fourth round of penalties.

Abdoul Tapsoba had the chance to win it for Burkina Faso in sudden death after Yannis N’Gakoutou-Yapende had blazed over, but Jean-Noel Amonome denied him.

But substitute Ouedraogo kept his nerve after Gabon right-back Lloyd Palun rattled the crossbar.

It was at times a scrappy encounter in Limbe, marked by several bookings, but also a game which provided moments of quality and drama.

Burkina Faso had spurned several chances to make it 2-0 before the 90 minutes were up in Limbe, but Amonome saved well from Traore, Blati Toure and Guira.

And the Stallions ultimately paid in the 91st minute when Ecuele Manga’s header from Denis Bouanga’s cross deflected in for a dramatic equaliser.

Abdoul Tapsoba had an extra-time goal ruled out for offside against Zakaria Sanogo, and Gabon keeper Amonome saved from Tapsoba and Ouedraogo in the second added period to send the game to penalties.

 

 

 

GET IT NOW

Continue Reading

Sports

AFCON: Ex-Man Utd skipper backs Nigeria against Tunisia

Published

on

rio

Former Manchester United and Three Lions talismanic defender, Rio Ferdinand, has shown support for the Super Eagles of Nigeria ahead of their round of 16 clash against Tunisia.

Nigeria lock horns with the Carthage Eagles of Tunisia as they look to secure their spot in the quarter-finals of the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations in Cameroon.

The Super Eagles have the upper hand, especially in recent times, beating them at the 2019 AFCON to secure bronze in the third-place match.

read also:EPL: Dele Alli axed by Tottenham boss Conte

The Tunisians are also short staffed, as twelve of their players, including their star man Wahbi Khazri.

Ahead of the game tonight, the former Manchester United’s record signing and England legend took to Twitter to show support for the three-time AFCON Champions.

GET IT NOW

Continue Reading

Sports

EPL: Dele Alli axed by Tottenham boss Conte

Published

on

Dele ali

Dele Alli has been axed from Tottenham’s squad to play at Chelsea today as speculation mounts over a transfer to Newcastle.

The out-of-form England international has only featured in six of Antonio Conte’s 15 games in charge.

And he will not be adding to that tally today after the Italian left the 25-year-old at home for the Premier League trip to Stamford Bridge.

Now it seems that Spurs are looking to offload Alli before the January transfer window closes as rumours over a switch to big-spending Newcastle mount.

read also:AFCON: Cameroon Hosts Influx of Football Fans From Gabon, Equatorial Guinea

Atletico Madrid – but they want even more additions to help their survival bid.

We reported yesterday that talks between the two clubs over a deal for Alli had allegedly begun.

And those appear to have been confirmed with Alli’s absence from the travelling Spurs squad today.

Conte is looking to raise funds for an overhaul at Spurs and seems willing to sacrifice Alli for that.

The ace burst onto the scene with his displays as a teenager at MK Dons and earned himself a move to the North London side in 2015.

The step-up failed to phase him as he quickly became one of Spurs’ most-dangerous weapons and was soon rewarded with an England cap.

He continued to flourish under Mauricio Pochettino but his form dipped dramatically under successors Jose Mourinho, Nuno Espirito Santo and now Conte.

And even though his record of 51 goals in 181 appearances is still impressive, it seems Spurs are ready to sell him on and bring in new blood.

 

GET IT NOW

Continue Reading

Trending

NgGossips.com