Dr. Anthony Fauci fired back at Sen. Ron Johnson on Sunday, calling the Wisconsin Republican “preposterous” for recently claiming that he “overhyped” the AIDS epidemic during the 1980s.
A frequent critic of COVID-19 mitigation efforts who has repeatedly questioned the efficacy of vaccines, Johnson complained to Fox News’ Brian Kilmeade last week that public health experts were trying to “create a state of fear” to “maintain control” amid concerns over the Omicron variant.
Specifically taking aim at the nation’s top infectious disease expert, Johnson likened Fauci’s groundbreaking research into AIDS and HIV decades ago with how the chief White House medical adviser has handled the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
“By the way, Fauci did the same exact thing with AIDS,” Johnson exclaimed last week. “He overhyped it. He created all kinds of fear, saying it could infect the entire population when it couldn’t, and he’s doing, he’s using the exact same playbook with COVID: ignoring therapy, pushing a vaccine.”
Asked by CNN anchor Jake Tapper to respond to Johnson’s “bizarre and false assertion,” Fauci didn’t mince words.
“You know, Jake, how do you respond to something as preposterous as that?!” Fauci sighed. “Overhyping AIDS? It killed over 750,000 Americans and 36 million people worldwide.”
He added: “How do you overhype that? Overhyping COVID? It’s already killed 780,000 Americans and over 5 million people worldwide, so I don’t have any clue what he’s talking about.”
Tapper, without missing a beat, drolly quipped: “I don’t think he does either.”
This isn’t the first time that Fauci has been forced to respond to conservative attacks against him, which have reached a fever pitch in recent weeks as the nation approaches yet another COVID-19 variant and an uncertain winter.
Fox Nation host Lara Logan, for instance, sparked intense backlash last week for directly comparing Fauci to infamous Nazi war criminal Josef Mengele—an analogy she’s doubled down on following outcries by Jewish groups and Holocaust remembrance organizations.
Twitter suspends accounts promoting Philippines’ presidential hopeful Marcos Jr
Twitter has suspended hundreds of accounts reportedly linked to supporters of Philippine presidential frontrunner Ferdinand Marcos Jr, which the social media giant said had violated its rules on manipulation and spam.
The son and namesake of the country’s former dictator is drawing support from a massive social media campaign seeking to get him elected in May, which critics say is attempting to rewrite the family’s history.
Twitter said it had reviewed the accounts and hashtags identified in a recent article by Philippine news site Rappler.
More than 300 accounts had been removed “for violating our platform manipulation and spam policy,” Twitter said in a statement sent to AFP Saturday.
Most of them had been taken down before the Rappler article was published on Tuesday and an investigation was ongoing, it said.
Filipinos are among the world’s heaviest users of social media and the country has become a key battleground for fake news.
“With the Philippine elections taking place this May, we remain vigilant about identifying and eliminating suspected information campaigns targeting election conversations,” Twitter said.
Marcos Jr’s spokesman Vic Rodriguez said there was “no certainty” that all the suspended accounts belonged to supporters of the presidential hopeful.
Election victory for Marcos Jr would mark the ultimate political comeback for the family, which was chased into exile in the United States after its patriarch’s humiliating downfall in 1986.
Marcos Sr and his wife Imelda were accused of massive corruption while in power.
Recent voter surveys show Marcos Jr holding a huge lead over his nearest rival and nemesis Leni Robredo, who is the incumbent vice president.
Rappler said Marcos Jr supporters were “looking to dominate Twitter” and that many of the accounts it investigated were created around the time he announced his bid for the presidency in October.
The accounts pushed the narrative that the Marcoses were “victims” of the 1986 revolt and their return to Malacanang presidential palace is “long overdue”, it added.
Twitter said sharing political content on an account or rallying people do so via hashtags was allowed, “unless the accounts are inauthentic, compensated or automated, which we see no clear evidence of in this case.”
Last Monday, the social media giant said it was expanding a test feature that will allow users in Brazil, Spain and the Philippines to report misleading content.
CBN to roll out e-invoice, e-valuator for imports, exports February 1
From February 1, 2022, all import and export operations would require the submission of an electronic invoice and electronic valuator authenticated by the authorised dealer banks on the Nigeria Single Window portal, (Trade Monitoring System), the Central Bank of Nigeria has said.
This was disclosed in a circular released at the weekend and signed by CBN’s Director, Trade and Exchange Department, Dr. O. S. Nnaji.
According to the banking sector regulator, the e-invoice and e-valuator ar consistent with its desire to promote ease of doing business and engendering transparency in the economy.
The circular was titled: “Guidelines on the introduction of e-valuation, e-invoicing for import and export in Nigeria.”
It informed dealers and the general public that the introduction of e-valuator and e-invoice replaced the hard copy final invoice as part of the documentation required for all import and export transactions.
“This new regulation is primarily aimed at achieving accurate value from import and export items in and out of Nigeria,” it said.
100% Natural Herbs to Finally End Premature Ejaculation, Weak Erection and Small Manhood. Click Here Now .
The apex bank added that the e-invoicing guidelines required that products that were more than 2.5 per cent around the vertical price would be queried and would not be allowed successful completion of Form M or Form NXP as the case may be.
According to the circular, an importer/exporter of goods into Nigeria must ensure that the purchase/sale contract with a foreign supplier/buyer stipulates compliance with the obligations set out in this regulation.
The CBN further explained that the supplier’s/seller’s invoice must be submitted in electronic format and authenticated by authorised dealer bank as part of the documentation for payment.
“No importer/exporter may effect payment to the credit of any foreign supplier unless the electronic invoice has been authenticated by authorised dealer banks presented together with the relevant document for payments,” it added.
The CBN Governor, Mr Godwin Emefiele, recently assured Nigerians of various efforts and initiatives aimed at bolstering the economy for the good of the country.
Uzodimma turns Imo into counterfeit, says Okorocha
Senator Rochas Okorocha said the government in Imo is now a counterfeit of what a state government should be under Governor Hope Uzodimma.
The former governor, now representing Imo West senatorial District, said Uzodimma does not have what it takes to govern a people in a democracy.
Okorocha stated this in a press release signed by his Special Adviser Media, Sam Onwuemeodo and made available to newsmen in Owerri.
“Imo State and her people have not known peace since Chief Uzodimma became governor. They have only been hearing stories of killings, arson, kidnapping, invasion, rituals, what they never witnessed when the righteous ones were in power or on the throne.
“Governor Uzodimma and his government have become itching experiences Imo people won’t forget in a hurry. The government has made Imo people see their ears with their eyes. And the daily prayer on the lips of every sincere Imo man or woman has been, “may this nauseating cup run over
“During my governorship for 8 years, militancy was a big issue in the oil-producing areas of Ohaji, Egbema and Oguta. I didn’t begin to supervise the killings. As a leader of his people, I employed and deployed diplomacy and got that problem solved.
“But under Governor Uzodimma, the killing of Imo people seems to have become the rule, instead of the exception. And the government is not regretting the killings, but only labouring to justify them.
“Under my administration, the opposition was encouraged to function unhindered. Every part of the state was alive and bubbling. Today, no part of the state is functioning. They are after the opposition. And they are not humble about their cluelessness and ineptitude.”
Reacting to news of the 11-year-old boy, Somtochukwu who lost his life during the relocation of EkeUkwu market, Okorocha said trying to justify the mindless and gruesome murder of innocent youths, men, women, and traditional rulers under his governorship portrays Uzodimma as one who came to destroy and not to build.
Governor Uzodimma had through his Information Commissioner, Mbadiwe Emelumba said, Okorocha ordered the killing of the 11-year old boy during the relocation of the Ekeukwu market in Owerri.
Okorocha said they failed to tell their audience what was the co-relation between the relocation of the Ekeukwu market and the death of the young boy.
He said trying to use intimidation and deceit to explain away the traumatic experience his government has brought to Imo people, will not work.
Politics2 days ago
Buhari pledges to redress challenges, improve Nigerians’ quality of lives
Politics3 days ago
Boris Johnson’s resignation – why it could happen
Music2 days ago
MP3: The Game Ft. Kanye West – Eazy
Music3 days ago
Spirit Of Praise – Spirit Jazz Quartet (Pass Me Not)
Nation3 days ago
Three traffic robbers arrested in Agege, Lagos
Music3 days ago
Chad Da Don – Grateful ft. Case Klowzed
Sports2 days ago
Roma, Leicester approach Chelsea for Sarr
Music2 days ago
MP3: Slim Thug – Made It