A Nigerian man, Osagie Aigbonohan, was on Friday convicted by the Southwark Crown Court, United Kingdom over his involvement in a romance scam in which he conned several women out of thousands of pounds.
This was made known in a statement issued on Saturday by the National Crime Agency.
The 40-year-old Nigerian was said to have used a number of aliases to contact women online through dating and social media sites, and in one case cheated a woman out of nearly £10,000 (about N7.5million at the parallel market).
According to the statement, Aigbonohan used the name ‘Tony Eden’, after which he struck up a ten-month relationship with the victim in 2020, via a dating site and persuaded her to lend him money to buy machinery for his business overseas.
The victim reportedly made nine transfers into various accounts operated by the Nigerian under fake identities, with the money eventually being sent into a personal account held by Aigbonohan, which he used for everyday spending.
Also, data recovered from Aigbonohan’s phone showed that he received money from at least eight other victims and had been in contact with over 670 people in total.
The statement said one of the victims was terminally ill, but Aigbonohan continued to pursue her even after she had passed away.
He was arrested in July 2021 and a false driver’s license was found on him at the time. Also it was discovered that he had no legal right to be in the UK, having overstayed his visa from two years ago.
Records showed that despite living in Abbey Wood, London, the Nigerian will spend victim’s money in locations across London, Manchester and Glasgow.
NCA officer’s conducted a search on the culprit’s residence where they found a footwear he had purchased with store vouchers that could be linked back to one of the victims.
Aigbonohan was said to have appeared before Southwark Crown Court on Friday, where he pleaded guilty to charges relating to fraud and money laundering.
He will remain in custody until he is sentenced at the same court on 14 January 2022.
Dominic Mugan, NCA Operations Manager, said: “Romance fraud is a particularly cruel crime that impacts victims both emotionally and financially, with victims often feeling like they’re the ones to blame.
“Aigbonohan showed total disregard for the victims in this case and was happy to commit further fraud by moving money between various fraudulently held accounts.
“It’s possible that he contacted more people than we know about, if you think you may have been a victim, or may be a victim in a similar case, we would urge you to report the details to Action Fraud.”
2023 battle: PDP Governors in emergency meeting Monday
By Okafor Ofiebor/Port Harcourt
The Peoples Democratic Party, PDP Governors Forum will hold a special meeting on Monday, 17 January, 2022 at the Rivers State Government House, Port Harcourt.
The Director General, PDP Governors Forum, Cyril I.D. Maduabum, said the meeting would review the state of the nation and readiness of the PDP to provide the necessary leadership to rescue and rebuild Nigeria.
“All the elected PDP Governors are expected to attend the meeting to be presided over by the Chairman of the Forum, Rt Hon Aminu Waziri Tambuwal.
“The meeting will be preceded by a Gala night to be hosted by the Chief Host, His Excellency, Governor Nyesom Ezenwo Wike.
“The PDP Governors are working in concert and consultations with other leaders of the party and in particular the Senator Dr. Iyorchia Ayu led National Executive Committee of PDP to craft a credible process and programme for Nigeria’s positive rebirth.”
He explained that Dr Ayu has been invited to attend the Port Harcourt meeting to hold consultations with the Governors on strategies for executing the rescue and rebuild Nigeria project.
Rivers LG chairs destroy illegal artisanal refineries
Okafor Ofiebor/ Port Harcourt
Chairpersons of local governments in Rivers have intensified battle against soot menance with raid and destruction of illegal artisanal refiners in some parts of the state.
In Obio-Akpor Local Government Council, George Ariolu, the chairman and some of his officers have uncovered facilities being used for illegal refining and storage of refined products around Ogbogoro and Eligbam communities of the Council.
Ariolu restated that the battle against soot menace is a battle for everyone and not for government alone to tackle, adding that it is a problem for all considering the environmental and health hazard associated with it.
He told journalists at Ogbogoro waterfront that all hands must be on deck in order to combat the menace of black soot in the State.
There was mild drama and altercation between the Police and officers of the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps, NSCDC, at site of one the depots, Obio-Akpor local government in presence of LGA boss.
The Chairman later accused some security personnel of aiding and abetting culprits involved in the pollution of the environment through their collaboration.
Ariolu advised the public to align with government and security agencies by relaying relevant information that will aid the arrest culprits, as he described the Ogbogoro Waterfront (former Crushrock) as a major depot for the storage of illegally refined petroleum products in the State.
The Chairman who also found an illegal refined petroleum products dump yard at Rumuolumeni Community (Mgboduohia and Minikpete), condemned the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps for their compromise in the fight against illegality.
He called on the State Government to seal, investigate and arraign owners of facilities used to perpetrate such heinous crimes in the society.
Speaking at a radio programme with Raypower 106.5 fm, the Chairman debunked rumours that the fight against illegal refinery operators in the state is political motivated and targeted at a particular sect and tribe in Rivers State.
In the same vein, the Chairman of Etche Local Government Area, Obinna Anyanwu and his team also discovered and dismantled two oil bunkering dump sites located at Akwa and Odagwa waterfronts boundaries between Rivers and Abia States.
Anyanwu was accompanied by security operatives and members of the Etche Local Government TaskForce/Oil Bunkering to the illegal oil dump sites.
Speaking to Journalists shortly after the raid, the Etche Council Chairman assured that his administration will continue to rid the area off illegal crude oil refiners to ensure safety and healthy environment for the people.
The Etche Council Chairman directed the committee in-charge of oil bunkering to collaborate with the security agencies in fishing out anyone who might be involved in illegal oil refining, including those using Etche as a route to transport their illegal refined products to neighboring states.
Anyanwu who expressed concern over the harmful blanket of black soot across the skyline in Rivers caused by illegal crude oil refining, pledged his full support to Governor Wike’s drastic measures in seeking an end to the soot menace.
Likewise in Eleme local government area an enforcement team was led by the Chairman, Obarilormate Ollor in company of security personnel, Eleme Youth Coordinator, Prince N. Okereke,the Chief Security Officer, Brain Gokpa, Special Assistant to the Executive Chairman on illegal bunkering and artisanal mining Mr Chika Alale Oluji stormed some illegal Bunkering sites.
Our Correspondent reports that seven refining points as well as two fully loaded oil badges were discovered and destroyed.
However,beside depots, no illegal refining sites were found at the time of the operation and no arrests have been made.
Shonekan’s death major loss to Nigeria, private sector -Osinbajo
Vice President Yemi Osinbajo has said that the late head of Nigeria’s Interim National Government, Ernest Shonekan, was highly consequential as a leader in the private sector who impacted economic policy in Nigeria.
This is as he described Shonekan’s demise as a major loss to the country.
Osinbajo stated this on Sunday when he paid a condolence visit to the family of the late head of the Interim National Government, in Lagos.
Senior Special Assistant to the Vice President on Media and Publicity Laolu Akande, disclosed this in a statement he signed late Sunday titled ‘Shonekan was consequential as private sector leader, his death a major loss, says Osinbajo’.
The Vice President who visited in company of his wife, Mrs Dolapo Osinbajo, was received at the Ikoyi residence of the Shonekans by the late ING head’s widow, Margaret Shonekan, and the son Adeboye Shonekan.
Osinbajo described Shonekan’s death as “a very major loss for the country and for the private sector and even internationally.
“Here was a man who made an impact. He was one of the very first leaders in the private sector to shape economic policy in Nigeria, and his role in that respect was very significant.”
During the visit, the Vice President also signed the condolence register thus: “We bless the name of the Lord for the excellent life of service to the country and to God, of our leader and father Chief Ernest Shonekan, GCFR.
“We are proud of his contributions to the shaping of the modern Nigerian economy while being a leading light in the private sector. And for his statesmanship and leadership of the country at a time of great uncertainty in our nation.
“His integrity, legacy and high value service will remain evergreen in our memories. We pray that the Lord will comfort the family and may his memory be blessed forever. Amen.”
The Vice President also prayed for the family of the deceased business guru.
Nation3 days ago
2023: Northern leaders, groups to meet in Kaduna
Nation2 days ago
2023 Presidency: Youthful age working in favour of Governor Yahaya Bello-Prof. Nwaokobia
Gossips2 days ago
Nigerians react to report of Mummy G.O being the older sister of singer, Olakira
Nation3 days ago
FG talks tough on corruption
Metro2 days ago
Zambian Doctors Failed to Separate Twins
News1 day ago
JUST IN: Dele Momodu speaks on ‘endorsing’ Tinubu for 2023 Presidency
Music2 days ago
DJ Phat Cat – Cold Nights
Music3 days ago
[MP3] Bella Shmurda – Sho Mo Mi