Newcastle United suffered a humiliating 1-0 home defeat by third-tier Cambridge United but holders Leicester City began their defence of the FA Cup by trouncing Premier League rivals Watford 4-1 in the third round on Saturday.
Premier League strugglers Newcastle flexed their new financial muscle by signing England full back Kieran Trippier from Atletico Madrid on Friday and he made his debut.
But humble Cambridge were undaunted as Joe Ironside fired in a second-half goal and keeper Dimitar Mitov made a series of saves to seal a famous victory and send their fans into delirium.
Leicester, who beat Chelsea in last season’s final to win the competition for the first time, eased through into the draw for the fourth round with goals by Youri Tielemans, James Maddison, Harvey Barnes and Marc Albrighton.
Joao Pedro replied for Watford, managed by Leicester’s title-winning manager Claudio Ranieri, but, apart from a floodlight failure that caused a stoppage on the hour, it was relatively smooth progress for Brendan Rodgers’s side.
Earlier, Burnley became the first Premier League casualty of the third round when they lost 2-1 to Huddersfield Town who came from a goal down to win late on at Turf Moor through Matty Pearson’s 87th-minute header from a corner.
Jay Rodriguez’s header had give Burnley the lead but Josh Koroma equalised for the visitors in the 74th minute.
Crystal Palace avoided a similar fate though as they secured a 2-1 comeback victory at London rivals Millwall with goals from Michael Olise and Jean-Philippe Mateta.
Read Also: Zidane ready to replace Pochettino at PSG
Minor league Kidderminster Harriers, the lowest-ranked team to survive until the third round, pulled off a shock when the sixth-tier club beat Championship side Reading 2-1.
Boreham Wood made sure two minor league sides will be in the fourth round when they beat AFC Wimbledon 2-0.
Premier League Brentford enjoyed a comfortable 4-1 victory away to Port Vale thanks to a Bryan Mbeumo hat-trick.
Denmark’s Eriksen starts comeback training with Ajax
Danish footballer Christian Eriksen, who went into cardiac arrest at last year’s European Championships, is training with Ajax as he seeks a new club, the Amsterdam side said Tuesday.
Eriksen, 29, who has been fitted with a pacemaker, joined Jong Ajax, the reserve team of his former club after terminating his contract with Inter Milan by mutual consent in December.
Italian league rules bar players with pacemakers.
“Former Ajax midfielder Christian Eriksen is training with Jong Ajax this week. The Danish international is working to keep his fitness levels until he finds a new club,” Ajax said in a statement.
Eriksen joined Ajax at 16 in 2008, made his Eredivisie debut in 2010 and moved to Tottenham Hotspur in 2013.
“I am very happy to be here. At Ajax I know the people, it feels like coming home because I was here for so long. All facilities are available here and with Jong Ajax I can train at a high level in a group,” Eriksen was quoted as saying in the statement.
“I want to be at my best again as soon as possible so that when I find a new club, I can perform well there as quickly as possible.”
Eriksen signed a four-and-a-year deal with Inter Milan in January 2020, helping them to win the Serie A title last season.
He suffered a dramatic cardiac arrest in Denmark’s opening game at Euro 2020 against Finland in Copenhagen on June 12 and had to be resuscitated on the pitch.
Denmark then rode a wave of emotion at the tournament, reaching the semi-finals where they were knocked out by England.
The playmaker spent several days in hospital and had a pacemaker implanted to regulate his heartbeat.
He said earlier this month he hopes to play in the World Cup in Qatar this year and was recently in training with his boyhood club Odense.
Read Also: Eguaveon reveals plans for new Super Eagles coach after AFCON exit
“If a former player and, moreover, a self-trained product of ours knocks on the door of the club in this situation, we have no doubts, of course he’s welcome back,” said John Heitinga, the coach of Jong Ajax, in a statement on the club website.
“Christian is a footballer who is an example for many of our boys, a source of inspiration for the youth to move up.”
English Premier League Club Brentford – whose Danish boss Thomas Frank on Monday signed a new contract until 2025 – have shown an interest in Eriksen, news agencies in England and the Netherlands reported.
Eguaveon reveals plans for new Super Eagles coach after AFCON exit
NFF technical director Austin Eguavoen has revealed his plans for incoming Super Eagles coach Jose Paseiro stressing the Portuguese tactician will be given all the support needed to perform in his role.
Paseiro is expected to take over the team from Eguaveon who led the Super Eagles to the 2021 African Cup of Nations in Cameroon.
With the 2022 FIFA World Cup playoffs against Ghana taking place in March, Eguaveon recently returned to his role as the technical director of NFF, said Jose Peseiro will get the backing to perform.
Read Also: AFCON quarter-final moved after deadly crush kills eight
“We have to sit down together and map out strategies. We need to give him the platform, we have already prepared the team for 80 to 90 percent.
“He just have to add his own style and leadership. We would support him with everything because the country comes first,” he said before the team left Cameroon on Monday evening.
Olembe Stadium crush: Cameroonians express shock and anger
As football fans reel over the deaths of at least eight people outside Olembe Stadium, questions have been raised as to how the tragedy unfolded. There had been concerns about poor preparation ahead of the tournament.
Investigations are underway after at least eight people were killed and dozens more injured in a stampede outside a match at the Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) football tournament in Cameroon’s capital, Yaounde.
The crush took place as large crowds tried to enter Olembe Stadium, where the host country was playing Comoros in a highly anticipated final-16 knockout game.
“Eight deaths were recorded, two women in their 30s, four men in their 30s, one child, one body taken away by the family,” said a preliminary report from the Public Health Ministry.
The tragedy has realized ongoing fears over the capacity of Cameroon to stage the continent’s largest sporting event.
“The local population is angry because information isn’t coming in on exactly what happened,” correspondent Blaise Eong told DW. “People are also angry that security forces outside the stadium could not contain the fans that were rushing into the stadium.”
Cameroonian President Paul Biya has ordered an investigation “so that all light is shed on this tragic incident,” Communications Minister Rene Emmanuel Sadi said.
read also:BREAKING: Mane strikes as Senegal send nine-man Cape Verde out of AFCON
Confederation of African Football (CAF) president Patrice Motsepe on Tuesday called for an immediate probe into the crush, with the first report to be submitted on Friday.
“There is no excuse for what has happened. We must show responsibility when people lose their lives and are injured,” he said.
“We will have very tough and very hard discussions behind closed doors,” he added.
read also:Rangers happy to have Aribo back to face Ross County
“According to police sources on the ground, people tried to force their way into the stadium, and that’s when the stampede happened,” Eong said.
Witnesses on the ground at the time of the stampede said the crowd was surging towards an open entrance gate after a long wait outside the stadium. When stewards closed the gate, people continued trying to push forward.
“When the security guys finally began opening the gates, with all the anxiety and having been locked out, people pushed the security guys away and forced themselves inside,” witness Marie Asongafack said.
People assist victims of a stampede outside a stadium in Yaounde, Cameroon
Metro2 days ago
Big Brother Mzansi returns with 18 new housemates
Latest Update2 days ago
More millionaires emerge in Fidelity Bank’s second GAIM 5 Promo draw
Latest Update2 days ago
Osun 2022: Battle for who becomes governor intensifies as infighting grips PDP, APC
Relationship2 days ago
Florida Woman ‘Stripped Naked For 4-Year-Old Boy Because He Asked Her To’
Latest Update2 days ago
Surgeons gave me scary news, pray for me – Metuh begs Nigerians
Relationship2 days ago
10 Scientific Benefits Of Cuddling You May Not Have Known About
Nation1 day ago
Gunmen kill two policemen, abduct one person in Jigawa
Music2 days ago
MP3: Jose Guapo – Pull Out