Connect with us

Nation

FRSC boss condoles with Kano crash victims, orders clampdown on speed defaulters

Published

on

06261ce6 allpapers

The Corps Marshal, Federal Road Safety Corps, Boboye Oyeyemi has commiserated with the families and victims of Thursday road crash that occurred around Bagauda Law School, on Kano-Zaria expressway, which claimed 19 lives

He also ordered his commanding officers to clamp down on commercial vehicle operators that failed to install the speed limiting device.

According to him, the order was to ensure the implementation of the 2016 Presidential directives on compulsory installation of speed limiting devices by commercial vehicles across board.

Oyeyemi stated this in a statement on Saturday by the Corps Education Officer, Bisi Kazeem, titled, ‘Corps Marshal condoles with the families of victims of Kano-Zaria road crash, orders commanding officers to intensify clampdown on speed limit violation.’

The Corps Marshal expressed concern over the loss of precious lives, noting that reducing speed-related crashes was one of the strategic goals the Corps intended to achieve this year, hence the decision to clamp down on commercial vehicles which refused to comply with the policy on speed limiting device.

The statement said, “While commiserating with families of the deceased and other victims, Oyeyemi stated that eradicating speed-related crashes from the highways has been the major focus since his assumption of office as the Corps Marshal.

Explaining further, he stated that the Corps has continually carried out with all sense of responsibility and commitment the Presidential directives on clamping down on excessive speed; that is why the Corps has put up several policies and enforcement strategies, including the compulsory installation of speed limiting device which commenced with commercial vehicles.

Oyeyemi further noted, “As the lead agency in road safety administration and traffic management, we shall continue to strategically deploy the combination of operational and public education tools and personnel to ensure that road users are properly enlightened and checkmated for the safety of all.”

He called on all road users to religiously adhere to all established traffic rules and also advised them to listen to the National Traffic Radio 107.1 FM for real-time traffic update and road safety education that could entrench safe road use culture.

GET IT NOW

Nation

Edo to switch to e-governance February 1 – Obaseki

Published

on

1cfc05cd 1620056 obaseki 636x540 1

By Jethro Ibileke

Effective from February 1, 2022, Edo State government will switch over from analogue to e-governance, Governor Godwin Obaseki says on Tuesday.

Obaseki, gave the indication on Tuesday in Benin, at the swearing-in of 14 new permanent secretaries, which held at the Government House.

According to the Governor, switching to e-governance means that memos and mails on papers would be eliminated.

He said: “Effective February 1, 2022, I, the governor, would switch over to e-governance platform, which effectively means I will now approve memos and send mails to you via the e-platform.

“We have introduced the Edo State Civil/Public Service Transformation and Enhancement Programme (EdoSTEP), through which we are pursuing a deliberate programme to identify weak points in the civil service and strengthen them.

“That explains why we have had to bring people from outside to come in to help us strengthen the areas of weaknesses that we have seen in the civil and public service; we will continue to do so because we have seen that the civil service as it is today needs a lot of strengthening.

“So far, we are very glad with the accomplishments that we have made today in the EdoSTEP programme. Under this programme, we have found out that the number of vacancies in the civil service is quite enormous.

“First, we started with the hiring of 1,600 graduates into the service at the bottom level, but they don’t have the experience and skill to take us to where we want. We will now continue hiring from the top and also see how we can train the middle corps that we have in the civil service and give them the tools for effective delivery.”

Addressing the 14 newly-sworn-in permanent secretaries, Obaseki charged them on the delivery of efficient and quality services to Edo people, even as he admonished them not to seek popularity.

He said: “We are working extremely hard to bring back the civil and public service to those days when it was respected. To the new permanent secretaries, I will like to admonish you, you all have been appointed based on merit, not by any godfather.”

“Do not seek popularity; you are not politicians, leave that to us. Ensure you do things the way it ought to be done,” he charged.

Obaseki also warned the appointees to be weary of their conduct in service, noting that government officials are liable and culpable for their activities in service, even after retirement.

In his words, “You are the chief accounting officers of your ministries. The fact that you are in government for a while does not mean that your activities while in government will not be looked at; you have to be very cautious of the decisions you make.

“Most Nigerians don’t know that even after you retire, you are still liable and culpable for your activities during your time in office. I am pleased to inform you that you will be inheriting a vastly improved system of governance; we will continue to work on our systems so that you can deliver effectively to our people.

“We will continue to build human capacity, and train and retrain our civil and public servants. We are equipping and investing in the John Odigie-Oyegun Public Service Academy to make it second to none in this part of the world.”

The newly sworn-in permanent secretaries are: Mr. Anelu Osemen, Mrs. Felicia Edwards, Mrs. Grace Aihie, Mr. Egwakhide Gilbert, Mr. Iserhienrhien Efe and Mr. Aikhuomobhogbe Uidia.

Others are Mr. Asibor Lucky, Mrs. Igbinobaro Joy, Mr. Washington Abbe, Mr. Asemota Uyi, Mr. Toritseju Onaiwu, Mrs. Ifueko Alufokhai, Mr. Osikhena Ojior and Mrs. Barbara Osobajo.

Mr. Anslem Osemen who responded on behalf of the new permanent secretaries, pledged to reciprocate the confidence reposed on them, contributing effectively to the progress and development of the state.

GET IT NOW

Continue Reading

Nation

Ondo: Police vow to prosecute man for allegedly killing Lagos-based girlfriend

Published

on

6c895e46 3686851 police arrest 1000x600 1

The Ondo State Police Command has said that it would prosecute one Olasunkami Oluwole for allegedly killing his lover in the Oke-Igbo community in the Ile-Oluji/Oke-Igbo Local Government Area.

Biola Soyinka, the deceased, reportedly travelled from Lagos to see her boyfriend before she was murdered.

Funmilayo Odunlami, the Police Public Relations Officer of the command, said the matter is being investigated at the command’s Criminal Investigation Department.

According to the PPRO, the suspect would be charged to court immediately after the completion of the investigation.

“The case is still at the state CID for further investigation, and after the investigation is completed, he will be charged in court,” Odunlami said.

Meanwhile, the elder brother to the deceased, Akeem Jinadu, said Oluwole had on January 16 called them in Lagos that Biola had died after he claimed that she became unconscious when she slumped at around 4:00 am .

“Oluwole said by the time he rushed her to the hospital, the doctors declared her dead. When we asked him to bring her corpse back to Lagos, he demanded that we send money for transportation.

“Contrary to what Oluwole said when the police arrested him, there were marks sustained from beating on her body when we went to identify the remains at the morgue.

“Her neck, face, and body had dark patches because she was a fair person,” Jinadu said.

“From the state of her corpse it is very obvious she didn’t die from falling, rather the marks on her body shows she was beaten and strangled to death.”

GET IT NOW

Continue Reading

Nation

Find the killers of Oba Odetola now: Gov. Abiodun orders police, others

Published

on

5c035fac 1620033 ayinde odetola 636x343 1

Governor Dapo Abiodun of Ogun has ordered the police and other security agencies in the state to fish out urgently the killers of Oba Ayinde Odetola, the king of Agodo in Ewekoro LGA.

Gunmen killed the king, along with three other people on Monday over a mix of chieftaincy and land issues.

An outraged Abiodun condemned the killings and vowed to find the killers.

In a statement by Chief Press Secretary, Kunle Somorin, Governor Abiodun directed the security agencies to immediately fish out the killers.

Abiodun declared that his administration would not tolerate a breach of peace and harmony being currently enjoyed in the state.

He said the politics, land, and chieftaincy matters should not attract descent into self-help and killings.

“To those threatening the peace of our state, we will stop at nothing to fish them out, prosecute them and mete out the full wrath of the law on them,” the governor was quoted as saying.

“We have zero tolerance for these ignoble conducts. Politics, land, and chieftaincy disputes are no excuses for people to take laws into their hands. All hirelings, parents, and guardians should call their wards to order.

“OP-MESA, Joint Internal Security Task Force, Amotekun, vigilantes’ groups, DSS Police and NSCDC are not mere toothless bulldogs. They are armed and deployed to strike agent provocateurs.”

Abiodun, meanwhile has sent his condolences to the family of the late monarch and the residents of Agodo town.

According to Ogun state Police Command, Oba Odetola was shot dead by suspected hoodlums on Monday.

He was killed not too long after his brother was also gruesomely murdered.

The Police Public Relations Officer in Ogun, Abimbola Oyeyemi, said the traditional ruler and the others were killed at about 11am on Monday.

They were said to be returning from an outing before they were attacked by the hoodlums.

The three people in the company of the king were reportedly set ablaze.

Oyeyemi revealed that the Commissioner of Police in Ogun, Lanre Bankole, and the Special Security Adviser to Governor Dapo Abiodun, Olusola Subair, have visited the town for an on-the-spot assessment.

He stated that the whole town was deserted as of the time of the visit, adding that the police commissioner has directed that the Homicide Unit of the Criminal Investigation Department of the command commence an investigation into the killing.

Channels Television reported a tussle over the chieftaincy title of Alagodo between the people of Ake and Owu in Egbaland.

While the late monarch was from the Ake section of Egba, he reportedly faced resentment by Owu people as they considered it improper for an Egba Ake to rule in aa town dominated by Owu.

GET IT NOW

Continue Reading

Trending

NgGossips.com