Connect with us

Metro

Sudan shuts down internet ahead of protests

Published

on

Sudan shuts down internet

Internet and mobile services were interrupted in Sudan this week as thousands of people again took to the streets of the Khartoum on Thursday to protest against military rule, local media reported.

According to BBC News Africa, some bridges between Khartoum and the adjoining cities of Omdurman and Bahri have closed ahead of the rally

Sudan’s Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok resigned on Sunday, amid a political deadlock and widespread protests following a military coup that derailed the country’s fragile transition to democracy. Hamdok said the country was at a “dangerous turning point that threatens its whole survival.”

Furthermore, Sudan’s coup leader rejected calls by the troika on Sudan — comprising the United States, Britain, and Norway — and the European Union (EU) to appoint a new prime minister in accordance with a constitutional declaration which gives the right of his nomination to the Forces for Freedom and Change (FFC), the Sudan Tribune reported on Wednesday.

After the resignation of Hamdok, the troika and the EU on Tuesday urged the commander in chief of the Sudanese army, Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, to select a prime minister after dialogue with his partners in the transitional authority that has been in place since 2019, the Sudan Tribune reported.
A fresh wave of anti-coup protests flared up across Sudan in December as demonstrators continued to call for an end to the military rule established in early October.

The Sudanese Professionals Association, which led the protests on Thursday, issued a statement the evening before, urging citizens to get involved in demanding civilian rule, Xinhua news agency reported.

More than 50 people have been killed at protests since the coup, including at least two on Sunday, according to the pro-democracy group the Sudan Central Doctors’ Committee.

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Subscribe to our Youtube Channel :

Follow Us on Instagram

GET IT NOW

Metro

SA minister denies apologising to President Cyril Ramaphosa 

Published

on

Lindiwe Sisulu

South Africa’s Tourism Minister Lindiwe Sisulu has denied apologising to the president for her criticism of the judiciary.

It came after the presidency said on Thursday that President Cyril Ramaphosa had met Ms Sisulu this week where she had apologized and retracted her “hurtful comments”.

But Ms Sisulu said she “categorically” disowned the statement as “a misrepresentation of the meeting I had with the president”.

She said she stood by her remarks, had offered no apology and that the content of the president’s statement was unfortunate.

In an interview with state broadcaster SABC, her spokesman Steve Motale further said the minister had expected more engagement with the president and was shocked by the statement.

The presidency has said it stands by its statement.

In a recent article published by the media, Ms Sisulu wrote that some judges were “mentally colonised Africans”.

She also said the constitution had failed to improve the lives of black South Africans living in poverty.

(Visited 3 times, 3 visits today)

GET IT NOW

Continue Reading

Metro

Mozambique searches for six missing in Zambezi river

Published

on

Zambezi river

Mozambique has set up more teams to help in the search for six missing people after a vessel sank in the River Zambezi earlier this week in the western province of Tete.

The teams are drawn from the national disaster organization, the maritime administration, marine forces and local fishermen.

It came after a search and rescue team was unable to locate the missing people for a couple of days because of the strong currents in the big river.

On Thursday, the search spread to other districts in Tete and the central Sofala province.

An official appealed to fishermen and people living downstream to report to the authorities in case they find bodies in the river.

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

GET IT NOW

Continue Reading

Metro

Watch| Popular South African Female DJ, Uncle Waffles Allegedly Turned Down R500k ($33k) She Was Offered By a Nigerian Millionaire For S3x

Published

on

waffles

Popular South African female DJ, Uncle Waffles allegedly turned down R500k (N14m) she was offered by a Nigerian millionaire for a one night stand.

The claim was made during a podcast hosted by South African show host, Mac G.

It was noted that Uncle Waffles who most men want to sleep with because she’s popular, has turned down such offers several times.

Watch a video from the podcast below………………

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

GET IT NOW

Continue Reading

Trending

NgGossips.com