Connect with us

National

Djokovic Hearing: Australian court’s livestream platform crashes

Published

on

images 49

Novak Djokovic faced a crunch day as his lawyers fought to win his freedom to play at the Australian Open, but fans worldwide were disappointed as the failure of a live court stream left the world in the dark about what was being disclosed.

Video footage of proceedings was promised by court officials, with huge global interest in the case, but at the scheduled hearing start time of 10:00 a.m., the website platform had crashed.

Djokovic’s case went before Melbourne’s Federal Circuit Court on Monday, with the world number one attempting to defeat a deportation order brought by Australia’s federal government.

Video footage of proceedings was promised by court officials, with huge global interest in the case, but at the scheduled hearing start time of 10:00 a.m., the website platform had crashed.

With the stream unavailable, the hearing was initially said by court officials to have been delayed before word came through shortly after 10:30 a.m. in Melbourne that it had begun.

Serbian superstar Djokovic secured an injunction against immediate deportation on Thursday and spent the weekend at a detention hotel.

Djokovic has won the men’s singles title at Australian Open a record nine times, including last year.

Ahead of this year’s edition, Djokovic arrived in the country with what he insisted were the correct documents.

Yet Australian Border Force officials cancelled his visa application, stating Djokovic had “failed to provide appropriate evidence to meet the entry requirements to Australia.”

Lawyers for the 34-year-old have since stated the Serbian was granted a temporary activity visa on November 18.

Djokovic’s legal team said he was granted a medical exemption for the first grand slam of the year after a COVID-19 positive test on December 16. They added that he was later given the go-ahead by Australia’s Department of Home Affairs to travel.

However, lawyers for the government submitted their court filing on Sunday, disputing Djokovic’s right to come to Australia.

“There is no suggestion that the applicant had ‘acute major medical illness’ in December 2021,” said the government filing. “All he has said is that he tested positive for COVID-19. This is not the same.”

The government document also stated that, should the hearing ruling go in Djokovic’s favour, it must be expressly stated that he could not be re-detained or have his visa cancelled once again.

Otherwise, he could be denied entry to the country once more.

The issue has become a political hot topic in Australia.

Djokovic’s stance on COVID-19 matters had rankled with many, particularly in the state of Victoria, who have faced hard lockdowns during the pandemic.

The case was listed as Novak Djokovic v Minister for Home Affairs. That minister is Karen Andrews.

However, the matter has been one in which prime minister Scott Morrison has also become a central figure. He had insisted when Djokovic’s visa was revoked: “Rules are rules, especially when it comes to our borders. No one is above these rules.”

Djokovic has declined to confirm his vaccination status, but by requiring an exemption to compete at Melbourne Park, it has been widely assumed he has not been jabbed.

The government filing on Sunday stated it was “common ground that the applicant is unvaccinated.”

Judge Anthony Kelly turned down a government request to delay the hearing by two days until Wednesday.

Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley said ahead of the hearing that he hoped Djokovic would be cleared to play.

(dpa/NAN)

GET IT NOW

National

EFCC detains Fashola money man Supo Shasore

Published

on

Screenshot 20220119 092240 Chrome

A former attorney general and commissioner for justice in Lagos Olasupo Shasore is being grilled by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) operatives.

A source close to the commission disclosed this in Abuja on Tuesday.

The source added that the ex-commissioner arrived at the headquarters of the EFCC on Tuesday afternoon.

According to the source, Mr Shasore is being quizzed over his role in the Process and Industrial Development scam.

Wilson Uwujaren, the spokesperson for EFCC, declined to comment on the development when contacted.

(NAN)

GET IT NOW

Continue Reading

National

Lagos govt seals nightclubs over lack of fire extinguishers, poor hygiene

Published

on

Sanwo Olu.

The Lagos State Safety Commission says it sealed lounges and nightclubs in Ikeja over the lack of compliance with its 2022 Zero Accident Campaign (ZAC).

The commission’s director-general, Lanre Mojola, stated in a statement on Tuesday that ZAC was determined to ensure that all workplaces and public facilities are safe for all visitors and workers alike.

The commission stated that the lack of fire extinguishers, poor hygiene and housekeeping, lack of safety signages, inadequate parking spaces, and other safety infractions led to the shutting down of the outfits.

Mr Mojola further that the action on some bars, lounges and nightclubs became necessary due to their contravention of the Lagos government regulations despite several efforts to ensure compliance.

The Lagos official slammed the failure of the outfits to obtain safety compliance certificates and register with the commission through its www.lasgsafetyreg.com portal.

Mr Mojola further reiterated that similar enforcement exercises would take place across.

He also mentioned that the commission would not relent in its efforts, especially when implementing the commission’s laws towards a safer Lagos for all.

The director-general implored all business entities to regularise their safety management documentation towards achieving safer public places across Lagos.

(NAN)

GET IT NOW

Continue Reading

National

AFCON 2021: After Malawi draw, Senegal reach knockout phase

Published

on

Sadio Mane

On Tuesday, Senegal advanced to the Round of 16 of the 33rd Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) after settling for a goalless draw with Malawi in their last Group B match.

In the match played at the Stade Omnisports de Bafoussam, the Teranga Lions earned their second draw from three matches to finish top with five points.

Senegal had yet to impress in the tournament and were now looking to stamp their authority, while Malawi were looking to cause an upset.

A win would guarantee a spot in the knockout stage of the competition for the Flames.

But it was Senegal who took the initiative to Malawi from the kick-off, with Habib Diallo seeking an opening through a header to Bouna Sarr’s cross wide off the mark.

Moments later, Sadio Mane missed a good chance to put his team in the lead as he could not keep his shot down from Sarr’s lovely cutback.

On the other hand, Gabadinho Mhango was looking dangerous as he began causing all sorts of problems for the Senegalese defence.

His best effort came from a set-piece he was unfortunate not to convert as it deflected wide of Mendy’s goal.

Malawi stood resolute in defence and starved the star-studded Senegal attack of the ball in the closing stages of the first half.

The Senegalese team stepped up their game at the start of the second half, looking to take control of proceedings.

Diallo came close to scoring, but Malawian goalkeeper Charles Thom was quick to react and tip the ball over the bar.

Thom made another great save, this time from Idrissa Gueye’s well-taken free-kick.

Malawi had a penalty kick claim waved away by VAR check following an alleged infringement in the penalty area.

Neither side could eventually find the breakthrough as Senegal sailed through, while Guinea joined them despite their loss as runners-up.

(NAN)

GET IT NOW

Continue Reading

Trending

NgGossips.com