Bola Tinubu, former Lagos governor and national leader of the All Progressives Congress, says he’s informed President Muhammadu Buhari of his plan to go for the APC’s presidential ticket.
Mr Tinubu made these comments Monday after meeting with Mr Buhari at the Presidential Villa.
He told journalists of his ambition to be president of Nigeria, chalking his ability to rule the country of over 200 million people to the achievements made while he was governor of Lagos state.
“I answer that with categorical yes. I’ve informed the President of my intention but I have not informed Nigerians yet. I’m still consulting. And I have no problem consulting. And I’ve noticed that a parameter of limitation to the extent of how many people will I consult,” Mr Tinubu said.
“You will soon hear, all you want to hear is the categorical declaration. You’ve gotten that truth from me that I have informed Mr. President of my ambition, I did not expect more answers than that,” the former governor added.
These comments come after Mr Tinubu had earlier disclosed in December that he was keeping his decision to run for president in 2023 close to his chest to avoid distracting Mr Buhari.
Last year, Mr Tinubu had publicly denied setting up ahead of his 2023 run, but the intentions had been confirmed on multiple occasions.
Peoples Gazette had reported how former Lagos governor Babatunde Fashola confirmed that Mr Tinubu would make his position on contesting for presidency in 2023 known by January.
The Gazette also reported the secret opening of Mr Tinubu’s campaign office in Abuja and how Lagos state governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, had publicly canvassed for Mr Tinubu by launching a political group ahead of his presidential campaign.