Connect with us

National

Russia to top agenda as German, Italian foreign ministers meet

Published

on

Screenshot 20220110 102736 Chrome

German Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock is scheduled to travel to Rome on Monday, with the ongoing stand-off between Russia and the West over Ukraine expected to top the agenda.

Around noon (1100 GMT), Baerbock plans to meet with her counterpart Luigi Di Maio in the Italian capital.

According to a German Foreign Office spokesperson, in addition to discussing a common European stance towards Moscow, the ministers will discuss bilateral and other European and foreign policy issues.

Migration policy is also likely to be discussed.

In the afternoon, Ms Baerbock and Mr Di Maio plan to hold a joint discussion on ecological restructuring in Europe at the Institute for International Affairs.

The think tank considers itself one of Italy’s most important and influential institutes.

Its website says its mission is to deepen awareness of the challenges of European and international politics through independent research, advance debates, and propose solutions.

Mr Di Maio has been Italy’s foreign minister since September 2019.

He retained ... even after the change of power in February 2021 and the formation of a new government under the former head of the European Central Bank, Mario Draghi.

Born in southern Italy, he belongs to the populist Five Star Movement (M5S).

He was its party leader until the end of January 2020 but resigned after internal disputes.

Ms Baerbock, a Green politician who took office late last year as part of Germany’s new centre-left coalition government, first met the 35-year-old in December on the fringes of the G7 foreign ministers’ meeting in the English city of Liverpool.

Germany took over the presidency of the G7 at the beginning of the year.

(dpa/NAN)

GET IT NOW

National

Buhari’s dictator background saved Nigeria from collapse: Gov. Ayade

Published

on

2527D2D3 1A52 4F9E 8833 C83722833663 scaled

Cross River Governor Ben Ayade says President Muhammadu Buhari’s military background saved the country from collapse, but Nigerians don’t know. 

“Perhaps, if it was not Buhari’s administration with his military background, the country would have collapsed at this stage,” Mr Ayade said, though Nigeria insecurity has worsened since Mr Buhari assumed power in 2015.

Mr Ayade, who defected from the Peoples Democratic Party to APC last year, further claimed that Nigerians were ignorant of the danger Mr Buhari had saved Nigeria. 

“People don’t know that because if you have been able to avoid risk, Mr Ayade explained, “nobody can see it because it was avoided. I think the situation could have been worse.” 

Boko Haram and bandits have continued to kill and kidnap for ransom, while agitations for secession continue to threaten Nigeria’s unity. 

Last week, bandits killed over 200 Nigerians in communities in Zamfara. 

Governor Abubakar Sani Bello disclosed that over 200 citizens had been killed and more than 200 abducted in 17 in Niger. 

GET IT NOW

Continue Reading

National

EFCC detains Fashola money man Supo Shasore

Published

on

Screenshot 20220119 092240 Chrome

A former attorney general and commissioner for justice in Lagos Olasupo Shasore is being grilled by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) operatives.

A source close to the commission disclosed this in Abuja on Tuesday.

The source added that the ex-commissioner arrived at the headquarters of the EFCC on Tuesday afternoon.

According to the source, Mr Shasore is being quizzed over his role in the Process and Industrial Development scam.

Wilson Uwujaren, the spokesperson for EFCC, declined to comment on the development when contacted.

(NAN)

GET IT NOW

Continue Reading

National

Lagos govt seals nightclubs over lack of fire extinguishers, poor hygiene

Published

on

Sanwo Olu.

The Lagos State Safety Commission says it sealed lounges and nightclubs in Ikeja over the lack of compliance with its 2022 Zero Accident Campaign (ZAC).

The commission’s director-general, Lanre Mojola, stated in a statement on Tuesday that ZAC was determined to ensure that all workplaces and public facilities are safe for all visitors and workers alike.

The commission stated that the lack of fire extinguishers, poor hygiene and housekeeping, lack of safety signages, inadequate parking spaces, and other safety infractions led to the shutting down of the outfits.

Mr Mojola further that the action on some bars, lounges and nightclubs became necessary due to their contravention of the Lagos government regulations despite several efforts to ensure compliance.

The Lagos official slammed the failure of the outfits to obtain safety compliance certificates and register with the commission through its www.lasgsafetyreg.com portal.

Mr Mojola further reiterated that similar enforcement exercises would take place across.

He also mentioned that the commission would not relent in its efforts, especially when implementing the commission’s laws towards a safer Lagos for all.

The director-general implored all business entities to regularise their safety management documentation towards achieving safer public places across Lagos.

(NAN)

GET IT NOW

Continue Reading

Trending

NgGossips.com