Connect with us

National

2023 Presidency: Nigerians waiting for PDP to take over, says Wike

Published

on

Screenshot 20220111 072814 Chrome

Nigerians are waiting for the Peoples Democratic Party to take over the reins of power in 2023, Governor Nyesom Wike claims during his visit to Bayelsa.

“Let us all unite. Nigerians are waiting for PDP and we cannot afford to miss this opportunity. As governors, we must work together. Anybody can be a presidential candidate but if we are not united it cannot be possible,” Mr Wike told his host, Governor Douye Diri, and other PDP members on Monday.

Mr Wike expressed confidence that PDP would produce the next president of Nigeria, just as he emphasised the need for unity of purpose between Bayelsa, Rivers, and PDP, saying that success would elude the party if members failed to form a united front.

He lauded Mr Diri for his developmental efforts and commitment to the party and urged the people of the state to continue to support him.

“Today, I came to let everybody know that Douye Diri is one of the governors I can tell you have shown commitment even though he is new. I have also come to tell him that everybody must work together to make PDP united because without a party there cannot be a presidential candidate,” noted the Rivers governor.

Mr Diri was also reported to have asserted that only the PDP could rescue Nigeria from ravaging insecurity and economic woes. The Bayelsa governor this while he received his Rivers counterpart, at the Government House in Yenagoa.

Mr Diri further explained that PDP had been repositioned to be able to clinch the presidency in 2023, adding that the major opposition party had the pedigree to give Nigerians hope and a sense of direction.

“The presidency is one sacred office and we must do everything to protect it and ensure that our party clinches victory in the 2023 polls,” Mr Diri stressed.

(NAN)

GET IT NOW

National

Buhari’s dictator background saved Nigeria from collapse: Gov. Ayade

Published

on

2527D2D3 1A52 4F9E 8833 C83722833663 scaled

Cross River Governor Ben Ayade says President Muhammadu Buhari’s military background saved the country from collapse, but Nigerians don’t know. 

“Perhaps, if it was not Buhari’s administration with his military background, the country would have collapsed at this stage,” Mr Ayade said, though Nigeria insecurity has worsened since Mr Buhari assumed power in 2015.

Mr Ayade, who defected from the Peoples Democratic Party to APC last year, further claimed that Nigerians were ignorant of the danger Mr Buhari had saved Nigeria. 

“People don’t know that because if you have been able to avoid risk, Mr Ayade explained, “nobody can see it because it was avoided. I think the situation could have been worse.” 

Boko Haram and bandits have continued to kill and kidnap for ransom, while agitations for secession continue to threaten Nigeria’s unity. 

Last week, bandits killed over 200 Nigerians in communities in Zamfara. 

Governor Abubakar Sani Bello disclosed that over 200 citizens had been killed and more than 200 abducted in 17 in Niger. 

GET IT NOW

Continue Reading

National

EFCC detains Fashola money man Supo Shasore

Published

on

Screenshot 20220119 092240 Chrome

A former attorney general and commissioner for justice in Lagos Olasupo Shasore is being grilled by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) operatives.

A source close to the commission disclosed this in Abuja on Tuesday.

The source added that the ex-commissioner arrived at the headquarters of the EFCC on Tuesday afternoon.

According to the source, Mr Shasore is being quizzed over his role in the Process and Industrial Development scam.

Wilson Uwujaren, the spokesperson for EFCC, declined to comment on the development when contacted.

(NAN)

GET IT NOW

Continue Reading

National

Lagos govt seals nightclubs over lack of fire extinguishers, poor hygiene

Published

on

Sanwo Olu.

The Lagos State Safety Commission says it sealed lounges and nightclubs in Ikeja over the lack of compliance with its 2022 Zero Accident Campaign (ZAC).

The commission’s director-general, Lanre Mojola, stated in a statement on Tuesday that ZAC was determined to ensure that all workplaces and public facilities are safe for all visitors and workers alike.

The commission stated that the lack of fire extinguishers, poor hygiene and housekeeping, lack of safety signages, inadequate parking spaces, and other safety infractions led to the shutting down of the outfits.

Mr Mojola further that the action on some bars, lounges and nightclubs became necessary due to their contravention of the Lagos government regulations despite several efforts to ensure compliance.

The Lagos official slammed the failure of the outfits to obtain safety compliance certificates and register with the commission through its www.lasgsafetyreg.com portal.

Mr Mojola further reiterated that similar enforcement exercises would take place across.

He also mentioned that the commission would not relent in its efforts, especially when implementing the commission’s laws towards a safer Lagos for all.

The director-general implored all business entities to regularise their safety management documentation towards achieving safer public places across Lagos.

(NAN)

GET IT NOW

Continue Reading

Trending

NgGossips.com