Leicester City attacker, Kelechi Iheanacho’s 30th-minute goal was all Nigeria needed to take a commanding lead against dreaded Egypt in the Africa Cup of Nations at the Roumde Adjia Stadium in Cameroon.
Nigeria dominated the game throughout the first half. All thanks to Joe Aribo, Moses Simon, and Taiwo Awoniyi who kept the Egyptian defence at bay.
Nigeria mounted more pressure on Egypt as Mo Salah was a shadow of himself as he was not allowed to click at all.
read also:Oliseh criticises NFF for hiring Jose Poseiro as Super Eagles head coach
Meanwhile, footy fans were left baffled after two broadcasters had Egypt down as playing an outrageous 5-5-0 formation for their African Cup of Nations opener.
All was fine with the pre-match coverage, that was until BeIN and Sky Sports showed the north African side’s formation.
Stunningly, the broadcasters showed Egpytian playing with two banks of five for their clash with the Super Eagles.
And Twitter went into meltdown after seeing the formation.
One fan tweeted: ‘Egypt playing a 5-5 formation?”
Another said: “Interesting Egypt formation.”
One remarked: “What the hell is that Egypt formation?”
Another chimed in: “Egypt formation Game Plan: kick to Salah up front, he will see what to do!”
read also:Reigning champions Algeria start Afcon campaign with disappointing draw with Sierra Leone
As the game kicked off, it soon became apparent that Egypt chief Carlos Quieroz had not adopted such an outrageous formation.
The former Manchester United No.2’s troops entered their clash with the Nigerians as one of the favourites to win the tournament.
And Quieroz relished the opportunity to play one of the strongest teams in the competition so early in their campaign.
The Portuguese said: “We want to face the strongest teams in the tournament.
Referees are ‘spoiling’ AFCON and have turned it into ‘red card’ party – Fans
Africa Cup of Nations has been labelled an ‘absolute joke’ because referees are ‘spoiling’ the tournament with red cards.
Fans angrily took to social media after Cape Verde’s last-16 defeat to Senegal was overshadowed by the fact they were reduced to nine men.
Midfielder Patrick Andrade was sent off midway through the first half before goalkeeper Vozinha was also sent off following a collision with Liverpool’s Sadio Mane.
‘AFCON is an absolute joke,’ one fan wrote on Twitter. ‘Referees are spoiling the tournament man.’
Another disgruntled follower of the tournament wrote: ‘These referees at AFCON 2021 have given me more than enough reason to discontinue watching the tournament. Officiating at its lowest.’
The dismissal of Vozinha was the 13th so far in this instalment of the tournament, as many as in the previous four AFCONs combined.
Many of the red cards have been awarded after the fact following the use of the video assistant referee (VAR).
‘AFCON referees should be reminded that they don’t have to issue a red card every time they visit the VAR monitor,’ another angry fan tweeted.
Another added: ‘These referees at AFCON believe visiting a monitor is red card offense, they don’t challenge the VAR decision, pathetic #AFCON2021.’
The decision to send off Vozinha proved highly contentious in Tuesday night’s Senegal-Cape Verde knockout tie, which Senegal won 2-0.
All five of the last-16 matches has seen a red card, with the group stage also littered with reds
Vozinha and Mane collided in what appeared to be a 50-50 clash of heads but in a blink of an eye the Blue Sharks found themselves down to nine men.
‘#AFCON2021 refereeing is ridiculous,’ another tweet read. ‘The underdogs are always crippled by the decision of the referees. #SENCPV no red card for the keeper.’
The two dismissals in the Senegal-Cape Verde game mean there has now been at least one sending off in all five of the knockout matches played so far.
Across those five games, seven red cards have been shown.
Denmark’s Eriksen starts comeback training with Ajax
Danish footballer Christian Eriksen, who went into cardiac arrest at last year’s European Championships, is training with Ajax as he seeks a new club, the Amsterdam side said Tuesday.
Eriksen, 29, who has been fitted with a pacemaker, joined Jong Ajax, the reserve team of his former club after terminating his contract with Inter Milan by mutual consent in December.
Italian league rules bar players with pacemakers.
“Former Ajax midfielder Christian Eriksen is training with Jong Ajax this week. The Danish international is working to keep his fitness levels until he finds a new club,” Ajax said in a statement.
Eriksen joined Ajax at 16 in 2008, made his Eredivisie debut in 2010 and moved to Tottenham Hotspur in 2013.
“I am very happy to be here. At Ajax I know the people, it feels like coming home because I was here for so long. All facilities are available here and with Jong Ajax I can train at a high level in a group,” Eriksen was quoted as saying in the statement.
“I want to be at my best again as soon as possible so that when I find a new club, I can perform well there as quickly as possible.”
Eriksen signed a four-and-a-year deal with Inter Milan in January 2020, helping them to win the Serie A title last season.
He suffered a dramatic cardiac arrest in Denmark’s opening game at Euro 2020 against Finland in Copenhagen on June 12 and had to be resuscitated on the pitch.
Denmark then rode a wave of emotion at the tournament, reaching the semi-finals where they were knocked out by England.
The playmaker spent several days in hospital and had a pacemaker implanted to regulate his heartbeat.
He said earlier this month he hopes to play in the World Cup in Qatar this year and was recently in training with his boyhood club Odense.
Read Also: Eguaveon reveals plans for new Super Eagles coach after AFCON exit
“If a former player and, moreover, a self-trained product of ours knocks on the door of the club in this situation, we have no doubts, of course he’s welcome back,” said John Heitinga, the coach of Jong Ajax, in a statement on the club website.
“Christian is a footballer who is an example for many of our boys, a source of inspiration for the youth to move up.”
English Premier League Club Brentford – whose Danish boss Thomas Frank on Monday signed a new contract until 2025 – have shown an interest in Eriksen, news agencies in England and the Netherlands reported.
Eguaveon reveals plans for new Super Eagles coach after AFCON exit
NFF technical director Austin Eguavoen has revealed his plans for incoming Super Eagles coach Jose Paseiro stressing the Portuguese tactician will be given all the support needed to perform in his role.
Paseiro is expected to take over the team from Eguaveon who led the Super Eagles to the 2021 African Cup of Nations in Cameroon.
With the 2022 FIFA World Cup playoffs against Ghana taking place in March, Eguaveon recently returned to his role as the technical director of NFF, said Jose Peseiro will get the backing to perform.
Read Also: AFCON quarter-final moved after deadly crush kills eight
“We have to sit down together and map out strategies. We need to give him the platform, we have already prepared the team for 80 to 90 percent.
“He just have to add his own style and leadership. We would support him with everything because the country comes first,” he said before the team left Cameroon on Monday evening.
Metro2 days ago
Big Brother Mzansi returns with 18 new housemates
Relationship2 days ago
Florida Woman ‘Stripped Naked For 4-Year-Old Boy Because He Asked Her To’
Latest Update2 days ago
Osun 2022: Battle for who becomes governor intensifies as infighting grips PDP, APC
Latest Update2 days ago
More millionaires emerge in Fidelity Bank’s second GAIM 5 Promo draw
Latest Update2 days ago
Surgeons gave me scary news, pray for me – Metuh begs Nigerians
Relationship2 days ago
10 Scientific Benefits Of Cuddling You May Not Have Known About
Nation1 day ago
Gunmen kill two policemen, abduct one person in Jigawa
Music2 days ago
MP3: Jose Guapo – Pull Out