Connect with us

National

I’ll run for president if APC zones ticket to South-East, says Orji Kalu

Published

on

Screenshot 20220111 105453 Quick Grid

The Senate chief whip, Orji Kalu, says he will consider running for president in 2023 if the All Progressives Congress (APC) zones its presidential ticket to the South-East.

“If opportunity is given to the South-East, I will think again to see if there is room because the party has not said where they are zoning the president to,” Mr Kalu told journalists in Abuja.

Apart from Mr Kalu, APC national leader Bola Tinubu and his protege, Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, are also interested in being Nigeria’s president in 2023.

While reacting to posters of his campaign posters flooding major cities in major cities across the country, the former Abia State governor said he was yet to decide if he would vie for president.

“I want to continue to thank people who are putting up my posters all over Nigeria. I have not made up my mind whether to vie for president or not,” he added. “But I know the party will bring a president who will work for the unity of the country, which is more important.” 

Many pro-democracy groups have endorsed Mr Kalu and expressed their readiness to see that he emerges as the candidate of the APC in the 2023 presidential election.

Meanwhile, Mr Tinubu formally declared his interest in the presidential seat after meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari on Monday.

Mr Osinbajo informed President Muhammadu Buhari of his intention to run for president in 2023 and sought the blessing of his principal, who did not make immediate commitments.

(NAN)

GET IT NOW

National

Buhari’s dictator background saved Nigeria from collapse: Gov. Ayade

Published

on

2527D2D3 1A52 4F9E 8833 C83722833663 scaled

Cross River Governor Ben Ayade says President Muhammadu Buhari’s military background saved the country from collapse, but Nigerians don’t know. 

“Perhaps, if it was not Buhari’s administration with his military background, the country would have collapsed at this stage,” Mr Ayade said, though Nigeria insecurity has worsened since Mr Buhari assumed power in 2015.

Mr Ayade, who defected from the Peoples Democratic Party to APC last year, further claimed that Nigerians were ignorant of the danger Mr Buhari had saved Nigeria. 

“People don’t know that because if you have been able to avoid risk, Mr Ayade explained, “nobody can see it because it was avoided. I think the situation could have been worse.” 

Boko Haram and bandits have continued to kill and kidnap for ransom, while agitations for secession continue to threaten Nigeria’s unity. 

Last week, bandits killed over 200 Nigerians in communities in Zamfara. 

Governor Abubakar Sani Bello disclosed that over 200 citizens had been killed and more than 200 abducted in 17 in Niger. 

GET IT NOW

Continue Reading

National

EFCC detains Fashola money man Supo Shasore

Published

on

Screenshot 20220119 092240 Chrome

A former attorney general and commissioner for justice in Lagos Olasupo Shasore is being grilled by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) operatives.

A source close to the commission disclosed this in Abuja on Tuesday.

The source added that the ex-commissioner arrived at the headquarters of the EFCC on Tuesday afternoon.

According to the source, Mr Shasore is being quizzed over his role in the Process and Industrial Development scam.

Wilson Uwujaren, the spokesperson for EFCC, declined to comment on the development when contacted.

(NAN)

GET IT NOW

Continue Reading

National

Lagos govt seals nightclubs over lack of fire extinguishers, poor hygiene

Published

on

Sanwo Olu.

The Lagos State Safety Commission says it sealed lounges and nightclubs in Ikeja over the lack of compliance with its 2022 Zero Accident Campaign (ZAC).

The commission’s director-general, Lanre Mojola, stated in a statement on Tuesday that ZAC was determined to ensure that all workplaces and public facilities are safe for all visitors and workers alike.

The commission stated that the lack of fire extinguishers, poor hygiene and housekeeping, lack of safety signages, inadequate parking spaces, and other safety infractions led to the shutting down of the outfits.

Mr Mojola further that the action on some bars, lounges and nightclubs became necessary due to their contravention of the Lagos government regulations despite several efforts to ensure compliance.

The Lagos official slammed the failure of the outfits to obtain safety compliance certificates and register with the commission through its www.lasgsafetyreg.com portal.

Mr Mojola further reiterated that similar enforcement exercises would take place across.

He also mentioned that the commission would not relent in its efforts, especially when implementing the commission’s laws towards a safer Lagos for all.

The director-general implored all business entities to regularise their safety management documentation towards achieving safer public places across Lagos.

(NAN)

GET IT NOW

Continue Reading

Trending

NgGossips.com