North Korea on Tuesday carried out a new missile test, the second in six days, firing another projectile towards the sea, South Korea and Japan confirmed.
It was not immediately clear what type of missile was fired and how far it travelled.
The South Korean Joint Chiefs of Staff said the missile was launched from the North Korean inland and flew towards the Sea of Japan, also known as the East Sea.
They said it could be a ballistic missile.
Japanese government officials also spoke of a suspected ballistic missile as they confirmed the test of the new weapon by North Korea, the Japanese news agency Kyodo reported.
Tokyo said the rocket fell outside Japan’s exclusive economic zone into the Sea of Japan.
The South Korean military said it would analyse the latest missile test in greater detail with U.S. authorities.
The latest launch came on the heels of a Monday United Nations Security Council meeting to discuss a North Korean test last week that Pyongyang said was a successful test-fire of a hypersonic missile.
Western members of the Security Council said that the missile testing poses a grave threat to regional security in East Asia.
Pyongyang’s provocations “increase the risk of miscalculation and escalation,’’ a joint statement by the U.S., Britain, France, Ireland and Albania said along with Japan.
Japan is not currently a member of the council.
“Each missile launch serves not only to advance (North Korea’s) own capabilities, but to expand the suite of weapons available for export to its illicit arms clients and dealers around the world,’’ they said.
North Korea has for years worked on missiles capable of being equipped with nuclear warheads.
The world had responded with sanctions that had done little to check ruler Kim Jong Un’s ambitions. United Nations resolutions ban North Korea from testing missiles that could carry a nuclear warhead.
Hypersonic missiles, which reached five times the speed of sound and were difficult to detect, could possibly also carry a warhead of this kind.
Negotiations between North Korea and the U.S. have not made any progress since a failed summit between North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and then-U.S. president Donald Trump in Vietnam in February 2019.
NiMet predicts 3-day haziness from Wednesday
The Nigerian Meteorological Agency (NiMet) has predicted hazy weather condition from Wednesday to Friday across the country.
NiMet’s weather outlook released on Tuesday in Abuja, predicted the North-Western states to be under moderate dust haze on Wednesday.
The agency further predicted horizontal visibility between 3km to 7km with the North-East to be in thick dust haze with horizontal visibility between 300m to 1,500m during the forecast period in the region.
“The North-Central cities as well as the inland cities of the South should be predominantly in dust haze throughout the forecast period.
“The coastal region of the country should also experience dust haze throughout the day,” it said.
According to NiMet, the Northern states are expected to be in thick dust haze on Thursday, with horizontal visibility of less than or equal to 1,000m throughout the day.
The agency forecast the North-Central cities to be predominantly in moderate dust haze with horizontal visibility of 2km to 5km throughout the forecast period.
NiMet anticipated the inland and coastal regions to also experience moderate dust haze with horizontal visibility of 2km to 5km throughout the forecast period.
“For Friday, Northern states are expected to be in thick dust haze during the forecast period. The North central cities should be in thick dust haze throughout the day.
“Inland cities of South and coastal regions should be in moderate dust haze with horizontal visibility range between two-km to five-km and localised visibility of less than or equal to 1000m during forecast period,” it said.
NUC approves two more universities for Lagos: Sanwo-Olu
Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos says the National Universities Commission (NUC) has approved the establishment of two more universities for the state.
Mr Sanwo-Olu dropped the hint at the public presentation of a book titled: Oluwatoyin Temitayo Ogundipe @60; Audacity of Resilience, on Tuesday in Lagos.
According to him, the development is timely, as it will expand access to the teeming youth who aspire for higher education.
He stressed that the two existing universities in the state were not enough to accommodate the quest for the growing number of youths seeking higher education.
The governor emphasised that education remained the only potent weapon to eradicate poverty and breach all limitations.
According to him, there is also the need to groom future leaders, as well as develop a curriculum that speaks to the needs of tomorrow.
Mr Sanwo-Olu added that Lagos State Polytechnic, Ikorodu would henceforth become University of Science and Technology, while Adeniran Ogunsanya College of Education would now merge with Michael Otedola College of Primary Education and upgraded as University of Education.
INEC withholds pay of 630 ad hoc staff over election materials
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) says it withheld the allowances of 630 ad hoc staff who failed to return election materials and devices used for the gubernatorial election in Anambra on November 6, 2021.
The state INEC Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC), Nkwachukwu Orji, during a news conference on Tuesday, said the commission was displeased that the ad hoc staff failed to return the commission’s materials.
“The commission has taken the unfortunate decision to withhold the allowances of staff involved in the act, pending the return of the materials to the commission,” he said.
The INEC official named some of the materials to include; Bio-modal Voters Accreditation System (BVAS) machines, battery chargers, cables and other accessories.
Mr Orji said although some of the staff concerned have started returning the items, the commission has resolved to place an order that all the materials must be returned before payment would be made to them.
The REC also announced that INEC had lifted the suspension placed on the Continuous Voters Registration (CVR) in the state.
“INEC suspended CVR in Anambra on Sept. 15, 2021 because of the governorship election in the state, but with the election successfully completed, the commission has from today Tuesday Jan. 25 lifted the suspension,” he said.
He said the exercise would take place in the 21 LGAs of the state and the commission’s headquarters in Awka.
Metro2 days ago
Big Brother Mzansi returns with 18 new housemates
Latest Update2 days ago
More millionaires emerge in Fidelity Bank’s second GAIM 5 Promo draw
Relationship2 days ago
Florida Woman ‘Stripped Naked For 4-Year-Old Boy Because He Asked Her To’
Latest Update2 days ago
Osun 2022: Battle for who becomes governor intensifies as infighting grips PDP, APC
Latest Update2 days ago
Surgeons gave me scary news, pray for me – Metuh begs Nigerians
Nation1 day ago
Gunmen kill two policemen, abduct one person in Jigawa
Relationship2 days ago
10 Scientific Benefits Of Cuddling You May Not Have Known About
Music2 days ago
MP3: Jose Guapo – Pull Out