Connect with us

National

Ignorant people criticising me for not attending late Olubadan’s eight-day prayer: Gov. Makinde

Published

on

Screenshot 20220112 081707 Quick Grid

Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo has slammed critics who faulted his absence at programmes held to honour Oba Saliu Adetunji, the late Olubadan of Ibadan. 

Mr Makinde explained that although he was in Saki when the monarch was down with illness, he was in talks with medical doctors who treated him.

He said, “Today, I am saying it in front of everybody that those saying that I was supposed to return to the state immediately I got the news of Baba’s demise lack knowledge,” Mr Makinde said, according to a statement signed by his aide, Taiwo Adisa.

The governor was criticised for his absence at the eight-day prayer held for the repose of the soul of the late monarch.

But the governor who visited the family of Mr Adetunji, at Popo-Yemoja in Ibadan on Tuesday, said, “So, those criticising my action are not the ones to tell us how we are supposed to take care of our aged ones. We know what to do and we did what was expected of us to do.” 

Mr Makinde also stated that he had heard enough on the controversy surrounding who or who was not to be installed as the next Olubadan of Ibadanland, including other narratives around the matter.

“This will be the last time there will be controversy on the next person to ascend to the throne of Olubadan of Ibadanland,” the Oyo governor pointed out.

He assured Ibadan indigenes that his administration would do what was right to preserve the integrity and sanctity of the traditional institution of Ibadanland.

(NAN)

GET IT NOW

National

Buhari’s dictator background saved Nigeria from collapse: Gov. Ayade

Published

on

2527D2D3 1A52 4F9E 8833 C83722833663 scaled

Cross River Governor Ben Ayade says President Muhammadu Buhari’s military background saved the country from collapse, but Nigerians don’t know. 

“Perhaps, if it was not Buhari’s administration with his military background, the country would have collapsed at this stage,” Mr Ayade said, though Nigeria insecurity has worsened since Mr Buhari assumed power in 2015.

Mr Ayade, who defected from the Peoples Democratic Party to APC last year, further claimed that Nigerians were ignorant of the danger Mr Buhari had saved Nigeria. 

“People don’t know that because if you have been able to avoid risk, Mr Ayade explained, “nobody can see it because it was avoided. I think the situation could have been worse.” 

Boko Haram and bandits have continued to kill and kidnap for ransom, while agitations for secession continue to threaten Nigeria’s unity. 

Last week, bandits killed over 200 Nigerians in communities in Zamfara. 

Governor Abubakar Sani Bello disclosed that over 200 citizens had been killed and more than 200 abducted in 17 in Niger. 

GET IT NOW

Continue Reading

National

EFCC detains Fashola money man Supo Shasore

Published

on

Screenshot 20220119 092240 Chrome

A former attorney general and commissioner for justice in Lagos Olasupo Shasore is being grilled by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) operatives.

A source close to the commission disclosed this in Abuja on Tuesday.

The source added that the ex-commissioner arrived at the headquarters of the EFCC on Tuesday afternoon.

According to the source, Mr Shasore is being quizzed over his role in the Process and Industrial Development scam.

Wilson Uwujaren, the spokesperson for EFCC, declined to comment on the development when contacted.

(NAN)

GET IT NOW

Continue Reading

National

Lagos govt seals nightclubs over lack of fire extinguishers, poor hygiene

Published

on

Sanwo Olu.

The Lagos State Safety Commission says it sealed lounges and nightclubs in Ikeja over the lack of compliance with its 2022 Zero Accident Campaign (ZAC).

The commission’s director-general, Lanre Mojola, stated in a statement on Tuesday that ZAC was determined to ensure that all workplaces and public facilities are safe for all visitors and workers alike.

The commission stated that the lack of fire extinguishers, poor hygiene and housekeeping, lack of safety signages, inadequate parking spaces, and other safety infractions led to the shutting down of the outfits.

Mr Mojola further that the action on some bars, lounges and nightclubs became necessary due to their contravention of the Lagos government regulations despite several efforts to ensure compliance.

The Lagos official slammed the failure of the outfits to obtain safety compliance certificates and register with the commission through its www.lasgsafetyreg.com portal.

Mr Mojola further reiterated that similar enforcement exercises would take place across.

He also mentioned that the commission would not relent in its efforts, especially when implementing the commission’s laws towards a safer Lagos for all.

The director-general implored all business entities to regularise their safety management documentation towards achieving safer public places across Lagos.

(NAN)

GET IT NOW

Continue Reading

Trending

NgGossips.com